60g w/ sump build, NEW! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
Decided to start this as new build thread. 60g currently doing a raw shrimp cycle. Super high ammonia and starting to see some Trites! :)

Building a 10g sump for it because I cannot fit a 20g under the tank. I made a pvc overflow, pretty excited for that too, even though the PVC purple primer ran all over the place. Also have an xP3 doing the cycle. I plan on having a dwarf lion, dwarf Fiji puffer and possible and eel!

Thanks, it's a start! Plan on starting up the sump tonight! It's had 36 hours to cure. Hopefully I won't flood it lol

Sand and go to Walmart and buy krylon fusion black paint and you can spray the pipes ....it's safe for fish too after it drys and comes out super sweet lolll glossy black

Reefpete said:
Sand and go to Walmart and buy krylon fusion black paint and you can spray the pipes ....it's safe for fish too after it drys and comes out super sweet lolll glossy black

I picked up Caribbean ocean direct live sand. I also just used the white pipes. I honestly don't mind the white. Althought I can see how that would look good.

Got my sump all good, took forever to find a happy balance between the pump and overflow. But I think I prevailed!

I added the live sand and it clouded up the tank pretty bad. Also took some live rock and tossed it in the refuge! I think I am going to fill the fug up with a lot of LR after this cycle is done!

As for rock you don't need live rock. I actually think baserock looks better and is $2 a pound.

Well I have base rock in the aquarium. I am thinking live rock as a filtration source in the sump/refuge. Or get a plant of some sort, what do you all think would be better?

Reefpete said:

something tells me u saw my thread lol

Looking good. Maybe some lr in sump and dt. plus some macro in the sump also. Gotta love the good and bad stuff that spring from lr. But it's up to u. Gl

Just did my first actual water test. I got 1.25 on the Ammonia! I'm excited. No nitrites yet. Pulled the shrimp out though, was stating to get stinky!

Today I went to Acrylicaquariums other known as ATM, other know as Tanked on Animal Plant and ordered the fish for this build. Also bought a torch coral for my reef. I figure by the time they get the fish, this tank will be cycled! :) looking at a month anyhow!

Man, that's really cool!! Tell you what, I'd LOVE to go to Exotic Reef Imports, that place is insane. Now THAT'S a LFS!
I just watched that show tonight.
Good luck Excaliber!

Readingexcalibur said:
Today I went to Acrylicaquariums other known as ATM, other know as Tanked on Animal Plant and ordered the fish for this build. Also bought a torch coral for my reef. I figure by the time they get the fish, this tank will be cycled! :) looking at a month anyhow!

That's sickkkkk!! Lolll that guys so funny and ERI is one of the best places to get fish from in the US I ordered my batfish from them

Yes, I would love to go to ERI as well! I know ATM has volunteer opportunities. I have a friend who has been helping out over there and he said they pay him in merchandise and frags. Guess they don't need to ad him to the payroll that way. I would like to hop on over there just to get some experience with acrylic.

Anyhow. Pulled the shrimp out the other day because it was getting a little stinky. My ammonia is sitting at 1.25 and nitrites still 0. Come on nitrites, where ya at, haha. Added some more live rock to the refuge in order to help the cycle. Probably made it start over again. LFS here has 6 inch eels. Wanted one so bad! But I will remain patient!

I just bought a ten gallon tank for that same reason but cant figure how to turn it into a sump. I also have an xp3 and a small marine land canister and a fluidized bed filter is that to much?

bcantrell said:
I just bought a ten gallon tank for that same reason but cant figure how to turn it into a sump. I also have an xp3 and a small marine land canister and a fluidized bed filter is that to much?

Me and hondachico have two threads detailing how too

Back
Top Bottom