65 Gallon Freshwater to Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bengalyork

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an emporer 400 on my freshwater tank I would like to have a sump eventually with a protien skimmer I'm going to use live sand substrate why else will I need thanks

Yes,it should,but you will need a sump and skimmer.What are you planning to do reef or fowlr?

Fowlr I have a heagon tall tank with no much of an opening like 12 in to be exact what sump would you recommend that's cheap

Im not sure but sometimes its better to go a little expensive so you know youre getting good quality.

Live rock is not a substrate. Live sand, or dry aragonite sand would be considered substrate. For a 65G tank you definitely want a protein skimmer, and you most likely would not be able to get by without one. For a tank that large, proper filtration is a must, and while a sump is NOT required, it is in your best interest to obtain one. A sump will allow you to have more water volume throughout your system, and will contribute a big part to having better water quality.

The live rock will count for biological filtration, which will play a big part in filtering your water, but 65G is a lot of water, so live rock alone won't cut it. Also, for a tank this size, you won't be able to skimp on a protein skimmer. You will want the best one that your budget can afford. One type of skimmer i would stay away from is the Seaclone. Types of skimmers that are great are Venturi, Reef Octopus, and a couple others i forget the names of. A great place to look for skimmers is at Aquarium Supplies - Aquarium Supplies for your Tropical Fish, Saltwater Fish, Reef Aquarium, Marine Fish, Saltwater Aquarium Their prices are excellent and shipping is only 4.95. However, they may charge 6 or 7 $ extra if it's a heavy item.

For more on skimming, i would advise strongly on reading this article from our very own AA:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...ein-skimming---is-it-right-for-you/Page1.html

I'm looking strongly at the CPR 192 with venturi skimmer. Anyone have any experince with a marineland canister filter are they any good? Also how forget work, you would need to get a hang on the tannk protien skimmer with one of those wouldent you?

Back
Top Bottom