72 Gallon Bowfront Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my tank looks the same as yours 72 gallon bowfront how did you drill it mine has tempered glass stickers that say do not drill

Mine only had tempered on the bottom. I couldn't find an exact manufacterer for mine so I did take a risk in drilling it. I had no troubles though.

ahh mine is the exact same even the stand and i did not think about it but mine only has a sticker on the bottom so i guess that means that only the bottom is tempered? thanks for the reply

ahh mine is the exact same even the stand and i did not think about it but mine only has a sticker on the bottom so i guess that means that only the bottom is tempered? thanks for the reply

I would assume, but will never guarantee it. Alot of tank bottoms are tempered. One manufacturer of bowfronts did have the back tempered. I can't recall which one that is though.

I got my base rock from reefrocks.net. Ordered 50 pounds and got 55 so props to Steve. The sand is backordered. I need to figure out how to epoxy these together. I can't seem to find a decent way to stack them. I tried about a dozen different structures and don't like any of them. The two darker rocks are from a local reefer and the rest from Steve.

Untitled by iadubber, on Flickr

Here's what I ended up with the base rock in the tank. The live rock will probably go into the middle and make that higher.

Untitled by iadubber, on Flickr

Should have my skimmer, heaters, and pump tomorrow or Wednesday so I can get the tank filled and cycling.

Looking good! Good move on doing the rock first and then the sand, it will be more stable in the long run. :-D

Looking good! Good move on doing the rock first and then the sand, it will be more stable in the long run. :-D

Oh yeah.

Bought some epoxy today to try and make some different formations. I just can't get myself to like any structure I make with these rocks.

iadubber said:
Oh yeah.

Bought some epoxy today to try and make some different formations. I just can't get myself to like any structure I make with these rocks.

Ugh I have NO sense for aquascaping. Having a hard time visioning what I want to to accomplish with these rocks.

it's a sweet day, skimmer, heaters, return pump, API kit out for delivery.

I wish I'd hear back from Steve at reefrocks on an ETA for sand. I got my rocks fine, I don't really want to fill the tank without the sand in it.

I'll start fitting for my sump tonight and hopefully finish epoxying my rock structures together.

iadubber said:
it's a sweet day, skimmer, heaters, return pump, API kit out for delivery.

I wish I'd hear back from Steve at reefrocks on an ETA for sand. I got my rocks fine, I don't really want to fill the tank without the sand in it.

I'll start fitting for my sump tonight and hopefully finish epoxying my rock structures together.

Go slow and take your time.., do it right the first time.., not much room for second chances here

awesome work, Subscribed!

Thanks, won't be anything too special. My daughter has been wanting "Nemos" for some time now.

Fitted the third bubble trap baffle this morning. Hoping to mount the sump and start plumbing tonight.

Kinda getting exciting huh?? .... I think you're at that point that the anticipation is overwhelming ..,neat feeling to have
GOOD LUCK to ya ! We'll be following along

Kinda getting exciting huh?? .... I think you're at that point that the anticipation is overwhelming ..,neat feeling to have
GOOD LUCK to ya ! We'll be following along

Oh yeah, Probably won't fill until next week. I am waiting on my RO/DI and sand yet.

Got my sand today. Filled tank only with RO to leak test the bulkheads. All seems good. I'll test the rest of the plumbing and pumps tomorrow.

Tested plumbing lastnight, I have two small leaks to fix. The quiet one pump doesn't seem to quiet to me. But it is drowned out by the constant waterfall noise in the overflow. Hoping some fine tuning and slime will help with that down the road.

Purchased 5 gallon bucket of instant ocean salt today.

Ordered a maxijet 400 pump for my ro/di station, uniseals, and 10 pounds of live rock rubble from PA hoping to seed some good coralline into my tank with that. Should be here Wednesday.

Here's it full of saltwater. Still a bit cloudy. Not happy with the Glass-holes overflow at this point. I'm waiting for an email back on how loud it is. Hopefully they'll send me a piece of enkamat to help. It's not my plumbing, it's in the box itself, a cascading sound.

IMG_1079 by iadubber, on Flickr

IMG_1080 by iadubber, on Flickr

Stats:
Nitrate = 0
Nitrite = 0
Ammonia = 4 ppm
Temp = 77.2
Ph = 8.4
SG = 1.023

Back
Top Bottom