72 Gallon Bowfront Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lost the coral beauty already. Water was 0, 0, <5. Are they pretty sensitive?

Will probably head to the lfs in a couple weeks and grab a couple gobies and a school of chromis.

My larger clown has ich ugh. I have both clowns in qt now. Chromis and royal gramma look fine so far. Wonder if the chromis are stressing him out? I haven't seen any chasing or nipping. Tests were 8.2, 0,0,<10 and 1.024. I'm worried about salinity accuracy as I only have a hydrometer. I bought a refractometer last week and it still has yet to arrive from eBay. I'm afraid it may be reading low and the salinity is actually higher than 1.024 but my other two fish and hammer coral have been doing great.

redsea said:
Congrats on your new fish! (y)

Thanks. Lost our larger clown in qt yesterday. The chromis, gramma, and clown seem to be healthy and eating. The royal doesn't come out much from his cave. Sometimes it will come out to eat. Hoping to see it more.

I will be heading and picking up a replacement clown this week. The clown I have left is pretty small (1.5"). The last time at my lfs they only had larger ones. Will I be ok adding a larger clown than I already have. I've been reading I should add a smaller or similar sized one but I don't think I'll be able to get close or smaller.

Hmm, I always thought that it would be best to get a smaller one, and a larger one. That way there will be little fighting over who gets to be the female (the larger one would become the female).

Hmm, I always thought that it would be best to get a smaller one, and a larger one. That way there will be little fighting over who gets to be the female (the larger one would become the female).

Ok, thanks. I was just worried about any bullying by a bigger one to the one that was already in there.

I don't know what to think anymore. I. Just. Don't. Know.

We lost our royal gramma. It was MIA for over 2 days. It was eating and roaming the tank for the first few days I had it. Then I didn't see it at all on Sunday or Monday. I figured it buried itself within the rocks. I moved a few rocks around and it never popped out. I searched with a flashlight before bed lastnight and didn't seen any purple or yellow.

I woke up today and there it is laying on the sandbed dead. No signs of ich, fungus, wounds, or anything. Just lifeless swirling on the sand bed.

I'm to the point I have no idea what to do. I've got alot of money wrapped up in this and the wife is not happy about it.

I don't know what else to look for. I've tried 3 LFS and have had deaths from two of them so it must be something I am doing. Water tests are spot on at 0,0,<5 and 1.024 on my hydrometer. The only thing I can think of is the hydrometer is off. I did order a refractometer from the slowest shipping ebay seller I've ever had the non-pleasure to deal with. I hope that comes in the next day or two. But I wouldn't think that even a too high salinity would cause spontaneous death.

My new clown (added yesterday with candy cane and some zoas), old clown, chromis and hammer coral have been doing fine. I can't imagine one clown, one coral beauty, and one royal gramma deaths in one month isn't a coincidence. All the fish that have died have eaten for me. The clown had ich, the beauty and RG showed no visible signs of trauma or sickness.

I guess I need to invest in a QT. I have a 10G hospital tank from my freshwater days I can use to QT from now on. Seems like a racket that LFS only provide 24 hour guarantees. Maybe I'll try LA when the temps come up a bit to at least get a 14 day guarantee.

Anything else I can look for in my tank?

sorry for the rant, it's just been a disheartening last month or two.

Didn't read the whole thread. What are you using for testing water chemistry? That seemed like a fairly quick cycle. 2.5 -3 wks. I'm not an expert. But something seems off with your parameters even though there reading fine.
Supra

I'm really sorry about the latest disappointment. If its any consolation, and I'm sure it's not, I have lost my fair share of fish as well. Often times for no explained reason. All I can recommend is going slow. Add slowly, acclimate slowly, etc. Also, do you ever check pH? I only ask because I didn't at first and mine got down to 7.8. Should be around 8.2 to 8.3. Just another thing that can stress them out. Good luck and keep the faith.

Didn't read the whole thread. What are you using for testing water chemistry? That seemed like a fairly quick cycle. 2.5 -3 wks. I'm not an expert. But something seems off with your parameters even though there reading fine.
Supra

Two separate API test kits.

I cycled with 50 pounds of reefrocks, 20 pounds of dead rock, and 20 pounds of live rock from Premium aquatics. Cycled using Ace hardware ammonia. Had nitrate and nitrite spikes. Believe me when I say it's cycled. I've cycled two freshwater tanks prior to this.

Before I sold my freshwater tank last week I tested this tank with two separate API test kits with identical results.

I'm doing 20% PWCs every other weekend. I'm using RODI water with Novaqua+ added prior to adding to the tank. When doing PWC I mix, circulate, and heat saltwater in a brute can.

Sorry I didn't include Ph. I tested Ph with API and my Vernier Ph probe. Both read 8-8.2.

Temp between 77.5-78.2

To acclimate I float bags for 15 minutes, transfer to an acclimate only bucket and drip acclimate for 1 hour minimum.

Another thing you can do is put deposits on fish as they come in and have the lfs hold them for a couple of weeks.

I would recommend that you move slower. What I would susspect is that your BB is having issues keeping up with the new stocking. This would have called a mini cycle, which would have caused the fish deaths, and you would never have noticed. I had a similar issue and that is what I came to the conclusion of what my issue was as my parameters were fine like yours. Best advice ever is that when you have issues is to slow down and don't do anything until there is a resolution. Your pocketbook, and your wife, will thank you.

I would recommend that you move slower. What I would susspect is that your BB is having issues keeping up with the new stocking. This would have called a mini cycle, which would have caused the fish deaths, and you would never have noticed. I had a similar issue and that is what I came to the conclusion of what my issue was as my parameters were fine like yours. Best advice ever is that when you have issues is to slow down and don't do anything until there is a resolution. Your pocketbook, and your wife, will thank you.

thanks, good advice :)

I will invest in a little bigger QT I think at the next dollar per gallon sale and QT the recommended time prior to adding to DT. That will give me more time to bring up the SG. Or do you think a 10G is big enough? I plan to eventually get another coral beauty or kole tang. I don't think they'd like being in a 10G for weeks would they? I'm thinking of getting a 20L at least for QTing larger fish.

As of right now, I do not have a QT. I know I need it, but I only had room for an old 5 gal octo tank I had in college. I just upgraded and working on fillin up a 55 gal. Once it is cycled and set up, my 36 bowfront will be my QT once I seal the small leak in it. I know the tang wouldn't be able to put up with a 10g QT, but the coral beauty should be fine. A 20 gal QT seems to be the norm for people that have lots of room, so that sounds like the best plan of action.

iadubber said:
Really thinking of downsizing to a nice 40 breeder instead of buying new 75 and stand.

I have a friend selling a stand, drilled 40b tank, with custom halide led lighting, and canopy for 200obo.

retiring this tank. Picked up a 40 breeder tonight to move this tank contents to. Finally won't have a scratched up tank!

Back
Top Bottom