72g fluval, need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dillon207

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to salt water. I got a 29g bio cube about 6 months ago and have been trying to make that into a reef aquarium. I am learning as I go. So far it's going great I'm addicted. So I decided I needed another tank because not to much room in my 29g. I will try to get some pics up so you all can judge how well my tank is doing.

image-2354984635.jpg

image-352230197.jpg

image-4137985124.jpg

So i bought a 72g fluval tank. I want to go fish only for now. What I was hoping to get from the members here is stocking advice, filter set ups, and anything in general that I need to know. I know that's not very helpful but that's I I have for now. The tank came with a fluval 405 filter. Is that going to work? So far I have 100 pounds of live sand and water in the tank. I was getting ready to put a few damsels in to start the cycle. Unless there is a better way, that what the lfs told me to do. I want some really awesome fish but not really sure what will work with what? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you

Go fish less for the cycle. Just put a cocktail shrimp in and let it rott. This will provide your ammonia source. As far as dAmsels go they are a pretty fish but turn very aggressive as they get bigger. Once they are in they are hard to get out! I have always wanted one but have restrained myself due to that fact.

If u decide to get a few damsels throw them in the sump if you don't want to keep them that way you don't have to tear your rock work apart to get them out I have one in my 90 and imma leave her I'm going Australian reef so she'll be fine and if something eats her no big deal they cost $3

I don't have a sump. Should I get one or is the canister filter fine? Also when you say shrimp, do you mean like buy it at the grocery store I eat it cocktail shrimp? Don't hate I'm new lol!!

I put one Zebra damsel in my tank the whole eotting food is yuk to me and the diatom bloom will feed the damsel

With a 72 gal a sump with your canister filter would help establish a better ecosystem just my opinion

With a 72 gal a sump with your canister filter would help establish a better ecosystem just my opinion

So I have read a little about sumps. Would a 10 gallon tank with dividers put into it be sufficient? Also what exactly to people put into the sump? I need to get a protein skimmer as well which would be more important to get first? Thank you for the help!!!!!

It looks drilled in the corner is it? Cause then u would need a corner overflow box also

Yes it has two holes in the corner. Currently they are hooked up to the intake and return of the canister filter.

Since its drilled I'd totally just switch to sump which is a easy DYI and ditch the canister filter and will be healthier for your creatures in the long run that way u can have a chamber to add the macro to stablize your tank once its cycled and u can add the macro to help while cycleing since they use the nitrates ect to grow releasing the nutrients your tank will need to thrive

Depends on the main fish u want in your display really. I'm
Building an austrailian reef and all fish will be compatible with a flame angel. And if u add soft corals you have to get compatible fish for them as well as cleaner crew some starfish will eat soft corals and sponges and shrimp are same some will eat your fish

Back
Top Bottom