75 gallon FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jjwilley718 said:
SO, i got my 75 gallon tank today and I'm so excited!!!! I did have a question about RO/DI filter. Should I get as many gallons as my tank is, larger, or smaller? Also, i'm trying to figure out where to put it too. Any suggestions?

If you are referring to the gpd ( gal per day) output ,it's really not that big of an issue,..some make 50 gal per day some make 100., buy what your budget allows.., I bought a bulk reef supply five stage RODI unit a couple of years ago for somewhere around $150 give or take,..you should also get one with a tds meter on it,.( total dissolved solids),.that way you can tell when your filters need replacing , ,in my case bulk reef supply has all the replacement filters etc also.
Once you've made up your initial water supply ,. You'll normally be doing a pwc of probably 10-20 gallons weekly.,be aware that for every gallon of pure water you've made you'll be also " wasting " another three or four gallons,.you can use this water to water your plants etc or just let it go down the drain.
Most of these filters can be permanently installed under your sink or like mine, just attached to your faucets via a little adapter or even used with your garden hose.
Most of us have a Rubbermaid trash can that is only used for the purpose of making up your weekly saltwater,.... You'll need a heater and a powerhead or a pump in that trash can to keep that water circulating until your next pwc.
Hope that helps a little.

LOVE our RODI machine! We just have it in our laundry room with the trash can full over water far away from the dryer (lint) we still just put the waste water down the drain but we will be doing something (not sure what) soon. :)

Thanks for all of the advice on the RO/DI filters. Not sure what I will do yet, but I do plan on using a rubbermaid container for the water. Could it be kept outside at all or is it best to keep it in like the garage/inside?

I have moved onto heaters now. What kind of heater would be a good heater? I plan on getting the Reefkeeper Lite to help control it.

I am designing my sump/refugium and want some opinions on my setup.

I'm using a 20 long. Measurements are 30x13x12.

I plan on going, from left to right, intake w/ skimmer(10x6.75), bubble trap, refuge, return.

Measurements of sections are as follows:

Intake: 10" long with a 9" high baffle for the bubble trap
Refuge:9"long with 6" high baffles
Return: 7" long with 6" high baffles

Opinions on sizes of sections? I was thinking of making my baffles for the refuge 9" high and elongating it to 14". To do this I would have to shorten the intake to 7" long and return to 5" long. Should I use glass or acrylic baffles (I know they need to be at least 1/4" thick)?
Any opinions or questions will be greatly appreciated

You need to use glass for baffles. Acrylic does not stick very well for baffles. We have a 20 gal long sump. The tank is 12.5 in high. Skimmer section is 12" long. Three baffles take up 3". Refugee is 9" long and return 6". Good luck!

Attachments

• image-3765675719.jpg
    image-3765675719.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 134
Back
Top Bottom