75 Gallon Shopping List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, after all the research I've done so far, here's my shopping list:

Tank
75 gallon Reef Ready w/ stand
2 Maxi-Jet 1200 powerheads
90# Live Rock from www.liverocks.com
40# Live Sand from www.liverocks.com (both together come to $481.26 with overnight by noon)
80# Dead Sand
Tom Aquarium Temperature Altert Thermometer
Custom SeaLife PC with Moon-Lite 4x65

Sump
29 Gallon Tank
Kent Nautilus TE Skimmer with Maxi-Jet 1200 Pump
Mag-Drive 950 return Pump
2 Ebo-Jager 150W Heaters

Water Change Storage
30 Gallon Rubbermaid Can
Ebo-Jager 150W Heater
Maxi-Jet 1200 Powerhead
Tetratec Air Pump 100

Other Items
Instant Ocean Salt 200 Gal
Rubber Aquarium Gloves
Aqua Tongs
Hydrometer
Hagen Master Test Kit
Kalkwasser
Misc Net/Food/etc.

Total Cost: $1,806.27

Looks good!

IMO, you don't need 40# of LS, but that's up to you (just trying to save you some cash. ;-) )

I'd trade the Hagen kit up for Salifert kits, and switch the Ebo's for Won Pro's.

Not sure what type of reef you're aiming for, but IMO, I'd give some considerable thought to changing those 4x65 PC's to 4 x 96w's. It'll give you a much wider range of coral choices, beyound the basic "low-to-medium" light stuff.

Nice planning!

That's a nice list! Gives newbies like me a place to start too!

I'm planning my first SW tank soon too (nano reef). Can I ask what the Tetratec 100 air pump is for, in the water change storage section? The powerhead is to mix the salt and water up, and then some kind of pump is needed to pump the new water back up for a water change. What will the Tetratec do? Just keep the water aerated?

Dump the Kalk and go with pickling lime from the grocery store. Not a big price item compaired to the rest but hey its cheaper and its the same stuff. Rubbergloves? Unless your really sensitive skin you dont need those either. Unless you just tone like fishwater on yoru arms. :)

I dont konw I like ebo heaters so im split with RL on the heater selection.

Happy shopping :)

C'mon, fishfreek - you saw my recent pics of the bristleworm bristles sticking out of my fingers like cactus spines, right? Learn from my mistakes .... LOL But, regular old non-powdered latex gloves work great.

;-)

Great list! I have to agree with Reeflady on the lighting system. My only advice is try to buy everything once! Good luck!
Travis

Ah ya, I did forget about the bristleworm/finger incident. Of course i have never really tried to pet any of my bristleworms. :wink:

With the lighting your planning to go with, you will only have 3.5 watts per gallon! You won't be able to keep sps corals or anemones! HTH!

fishfreek said:
Dump the Kalk and go with pickling lime from the grocery store. Not a big price item compaired to the rest but hey its cheaper and its the same stuff. Rubbergloves? Unless your really sensitive skin you dont need those either. Unless you just tone like fishwater on yoru arms. :)

I dont konw I like ebo heaters so im split with RL on the heater selection.

Happy shopping :)

Holy crap are you arrested for your spelling.

Also, the reason for the gloves (which I have a pair for my FWs) is that it eliminates the oils from the skin and such in the tank. Probably a little retentitive of me, but look at my list, is this a sane person?

Good tip on the Kalk. Do I even need Kalk until I add low/medium light coral? Will it help the LR?

I also like the ebo-jagers in my FW. Are 2 150W enough?

An t-iasg said:
Can I ask what the Tetratec 100 air pump is for, in the water change storage section? The powerhead is to mix the salt and water up, and then some kind of pump is needed to pump the new water back up for a water change. What will the Tetratec do? Just keep the water aerated?

The Maxi-jet 1200 pump keeps the water circulating (heated still water is not typically a good thing) and the air pump keeps it aerated. I'm not planning on the storage ever going totally empty, so it's a good thing to keep it mixing and aerated.

ReefLady said:
Not sure what type of reef you're aiming for, but IMO, I'd give some considerable thought to changing those 4x65 PC's to 4 x 96w's.

My primary focus is animals, but I will do some low light corals and such. I'm almost doing a FOWLR, but some low/medium light stuff.

Also, I love the new moon-lite fixtures, and at $300 difference, I think the 4x96 is overkill for my applications.

Good tip on the Kalk. Do I even need Kalk until I add low/medium light coral? Will it help the LR?

You really shouldn't need Kalk until you get some corals or your coralline algae really begins to take off, but this is all dependent on how much Ca is in your salt mix from the beginning. IO is notoriously out of balance between Alk and Ca, with Ca normally being low and Alk being high. My Ca level with a newly mixed batch of IO was around 350ppm. That is "ok" but not great, IMO. I like to stay around 400ppm of Ca.

Bottom line: You shouldn't need Kalk in the beginning (not at all during the cycle) but then you will need to test for Ca and Alk to see what is going on. If they are a little on the low side, dosing Kalk certainly won't hurt. It will precipitate out PO4 which is a great thing.

Don't worry so much about the chemistry right now. Just get your tank built and we can help you with that later...

8)

Bearfan wrote:
The Maxi-jet 1200 pump keeps the water circulating (heated still water is not typically a good thing) and the air pump keeps it aerated. I'm not planning on the storage ever going totally empty, so it's a good thing to keep it mixing and aerated.
Good, :) that was my next question -- if you can make water up in advance, and keep it in the storage tank, and I guess you can! My "storage tank" will be a 5 gallon bucket, since my tank will be 7 or 10 gallons. I did read that you should make up your water the day before a water change, and it's good to know that you can always have some made up and in your storage tank.

A good skimmer will take care of your skin oils :)

I just dive on in with out a second thought to it. Corse I dont use any of that pansey hand cream or stuff like that.

If the two heaters are enought thats kind of up to you to answer. What temp to you plan on maintaning and how well do the FW heaters keep your tanks right now up to temp? I like my tanks around 80F in the winter and as you know the more your tank is above abmient temp the more powerful the heaters you will need.

A good skimmer will take care of your skin oils

I just dive on in with out a second thought to it. Corse I dont use any of that pansey hand cream or stuff like that.
Agreed.. Until something gets me good.. Or until the clowns draw blood...

James

I don't use those "pansey hand creams" either, but my wife does. And if all the stars are in alignment, and I've been good, they get transfered through holding hands, etc. So I'm retentive, sue me.

Back
Top Bottom