75g tank stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slitherbomb

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, when my 75g tank finishes cycling and I finish stocking it with LR and such, I would like to put in a snowflake eel and 2 black and white clownfish. Would this work? Also, can anyone recommend any other fish? Thanks.

You could have him if you wanted, but smaller or non aggressive fish would more than likely be eaten by him

Alright thanks. I think I might just not get an eel or arrange the LR in a certain way to keep the eel from facing the clowns or something.

Many people have eels with smaller fish. Yes its a risk but eels have very poor eyesite and if well feed are not going to go hunting your other fish. Also how can anyone say its gonna escape the tank when you have no idea about this guys tank. certainly he will put some type of covering on the tank like eggcrate or fix up some type of screen. Many people keep eels without them escaping the tank. I had a snowflake with several small fish and never had any problems. Infact I had a damsel that would chase the eel around my tank...

glass not so great because it doesnt allow very good air exchange and there is usually a pretty good gap in the back still. I would recommend getting some eggcrate from a hardware store like lowes, menards, home depot or some people get picture frame material and stretch a screen in it for smaller holes. Any hole that it can fit through it could find eventually. yes I believe the snowflakes are the less aggressive eels and one of the better looking ones in my opinion. Dont get me wrong there is some risk in this but it can be done. I would also recommend always feeding it with a feeding stick and do not use live foods. Buy the eel small but not to small (around 8-9") and obvioulsy it would be best to get more mature fish, a 3" clown will be better than a 1". It can be done.

I have a snowflake eel in my tank and have had him for 8 months, he is great and will get along with almost everything, I have clowns so it will be fine with them

There are carpet eel blennies which look amazing and can be housed in groups, but they too are predators. Larger fish would be fine though with them because they have quite small mouths compared to actual eels. They only get 13" long maximum but still look quite like eels. Worth a shot I suppose, though they like to burrow under live rock.

Back
Top Bottom