Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-30-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

75gal FOWLR Build

Have a brand new 75gal tank, stand, filter ready to go!

So I put it into place in the living room and started to fill it today. But it worked fine untill I got 3/4 of the water into the tank and it sprung a leak..bottom front middle of the tank...[moderator edit] a 5ft stream of water out a whole no bigger than a pin. I raced to clean it up but still ended up with a fair amount of water on the floor :p wife is not happy.

So back to the drawing boards. I need to re-seal the tank before anything happens.

So instead I played around with the stand, I set the canister filter into place and ran the hoses for it through the stand. Also painted the back of the tank black.

I will be wiring a few plugs into the stand itself and use some liquid tight connectors on the boxes and run some 12/3 cabtire out of one box and into a plug end for easy connection. Probably use 1 GFCI plug wired on the line side and run 3 or 4 duplex plugs on the load side of the GFCI plug, from there I could also wire in some timer switches to be mounted on the outside of the stand for easy programming of lights etc.

here is the tank before I painted the back black and setup in the house

Old 10-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

If it's a brandnew tank why didn't you take it back for another one instead of painting the back?

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

brand new to me sorry, it was used got it all for 100$ and I painted it black before I put the water in it because I ask the guy is it water tight he said it sure is and he used it for 6 months no problems
Old 10-31-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

So today I brought power into the stand. I installed a GFCI Plug and then wired in 3 extra 15amp receptacles just so I can have some easy cable management when i go to start getting the tank setup.

Heres what I picked up:

12/3 Cabtire (bout 5ft)
3 Decora Plugs
4 Gang Box
Flat plug connector

Step #1 Mount Box

Step #2 Install Plugs Correctly

Step # 3 Plug in

And Finished!

Also for anyone who says "omg no thats bad use a power bar instead its safer" etc (yes I have heard this before when building my stands) This is what the inside of a power bar looks like

its 3 brass strips which run the length of the bar with a switch on the end, this costs about 6$ at walmart but I installed 4 plugs into my setup for less than that (thank you wholesalers!)

Later on I will be installing a few switches on one side of of the stand so i can easily turn things on and off easily instead of unplugging things, like lights pumps etc. Timer switches will be added for lights as well.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

So after talking to the wife about the tank we decided to get maybe 10-15lbs of live rock for this tank and then get the rest from Eco-Reefer.com. They have a "starter" pack for a 65gal aquarium that would work well for us and will save us a lot of money on live rock and sand. Pack has 50lbs of rock and 50lbs of sand for about 240$ (shipping included) which is a great price. Eco-Reefer - The finest reef rock available in Canada! We will be ordering this around Xmas since we are in no rush to get it anyways.

Also talked about a sump setup and come to the conclusion that we might run sort of a double sump because of how the stand is, on one side of the stand we have the main part of it with skimmer etc then run a baffle through a whole into a second tank on the other side of the stand with the return pump. So Instead of trying to cram everything into like half of the stand due to the middle brace we will just break up the sump and add more space. Still looking around locally on who has the best deal for parts etc.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Looks like your off to a good start. Here is some good sump info. Links to Parts 2 and 3 are at the bottom of part 1.

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sumps, Part I by Greg Taylor - Reefkeeping.com

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

in all honesty I think a friend of mine will be building my sump for me because its right over my head on these things, I get the purpose and function but its still greek to me, just tell me where the power goes and im your man.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
kee
Aquarium Advice Regular

Lookin good!!

kee
Old 11-07-2010, 09:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

After looking into it and the budget again and talking over dinner we might end up going for a easy way out...

Eshopps: Reef Sumps pick up the rs-75 sump and the matching overflow and skimmer from this company that will free up a lot of space under the tank so we can store things and keep clean on the inside.

Now just a matter of pricing out:
Sump--RS-75
Skimmer--PSK-75
Overflow--PF-300

still need to get the pump ourself but this is a start and some places here locally will give us a deal if we order it all through them.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank build paused

got laid off today

Tags
75g, 75gal, build, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com