75gal Update and Questions:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CEverii

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys. Been so far a smoooooth start off with my 75gal FOWLR. Got my two first fasle p. clouns, 4 peppermint shrimp, and about 10 hermits (against my better judgement lol). All my parameters are very low and well, been doing 20% water changes every 1.5-2 weeks. Everyone is happy as a clam. Couple questions and conflicts:

1) Im starting to have these little plant looking things grow off of my glass. Very small, kinda cool looking up close. Should I just brush those off?

2) Ive been feeding my critters some flake food I bought at my LFS (at work atm and forgot the brand), I have a feeling they need more then that though. Any suggestions? My pepperment shrimp all go crazy when i drop this stuff in though, very fun to watch

3) I have some dark green/brown algae building up on my powerheads and overflow box. My buddy told me to leave it there and the purple algae will grow on top of it. Any truth to this?

Thanks again AA for all the advice and getting me off so smoothly.

1) Hard to tell what "plants" could be growing on the glass. Do a search on hair algae.

2) Fish and shrimp ALWAYS go crazy at feeding time. Don't let them snooker you. They don't always need food. Feeding once a day or every other day is quite common. Also, check into more foods. Frozen, rinsed, and fortified brine with garlic juice and vitamin), vegatable matter, etc. Get away from the flakes. They can get your phosphates up.

3) new(ish) tank??? Look up diatoms. if so, it normal with all new tanks and will go away.

Back
Top Bottom