8 Months before adding fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CEverii

Aquarium Advice Freak
So Ive been reading a lot lately getting ready for my first FOWLR tank and a lot of places ive seen said between 4-8 weeks of cycling before adding fish. However i found another article that the guy said to wait EIGHT MONTHS before adding actual fish. Is this true?

Not at all. It takes on average a few days or up to 2 months. All you need to know is the ammonia and nitrite is 0, and the nitrate has risen.

..However i found another article that the guy said to wait EIGHT MONTHS before adding actual fish. Is this true?

Absolutely not. I'd be interested in a link to the article if it's online.

Like AMD said... once you ammonia and nitrite spike and drop to zero, you're good to go. If you're using fully cured live rock, it could be a week. If you're rock isn't cured at all, it could take 4-6 weeks.

Absolutely not. I'd be interested in a link to the article if it's online.

Like AMD said... once you ammonia and nitrite spike and drop to zero, you're good to go. If you're using fully cured live rock, it could be a week. If you're rock isn't cured at all, it could take 4-6 weeks.

Heres the link to that guys guide

Setting Up a FOWLR Aquarium - Reeflands Forum

I also agree that 8 months is too long. Your water test kit will let you know how long.

You misread the setup guide. You can start adding fish after 2 months by that guide. (See steps 16-18 . You can even have a fish in quarantine while your main tank is finishing the cycling.

It's just that he's saying you should have the tank up and running for at least 8 months before adding any "sensitive" (expensive!) fish. The thinking is that most likely your water parameters will be anything but stable while you're learning and it's better that you start stocking with "hardy" fish that are more forgiving to any mistakes. Plus they cost less in case something really bad goes wrong.

Lee is one of the best sources of info on internet forums when it comes to fish.

Oh yeah I recognize "leebca" I follow his freshwater dip process and it has been great..... no causualties and no ich. I do keep the fish in the FW a little less time than he suggests though. I have probably FW dipped around 10+ new fish following his instructions. I know this is way off topic, but for the freshwater dips adjusting PH (digital probe) and Temp is key.

Back
Top Bottom