90 gallon aggressive/predator tank stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coffeetwitch

Aquarium Advice Addict
k so its going to be a 90 gallon 48"x18"x24", ive already built the stand just need to buy the tank and some odds and ends so ive got time to hammer out the details of stocking.

fish that i really want to have and need to plan around
1x Magnificent foxface
1x harlequin tusk

others that i would really like to keep

humu rectangle trigger
a lionfish

maybes

zebra eel
coral hogfish
Axilspot Hogfish
Red Diana Hogfish
Annularis Angelfish
Majestic Angelfish

the last group of maybes are pretty much to fill in

any suggestions would be great. and much help is needed.

thanks everyone.

I think both the foxface and tusk are recommended to have a 125 gallon minimum tank. Nice fish though I'm actually changing a 125 to salt now and I intend to have the tusk in my tank! The trigger and the eel both are awesome fish for a 90 I also have a 90 that I'm setting for a similar predator tank and both are ok my list of fish I would like to get! also check out wrasses a but smaller than the tusk puffers and maybe a angler! Any of these fish would do well in a 90!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Foxfce is around 70 gallon minimum

Really? Cool I read 125 on live aquaria and thought they needed the 6 ft tanks for extra swimming room! I have not kept one thought so my recommendations are strictly from reading about them!

Well the magnificent foxface says 125, but the lo and one spot say 70 gallons. Lol we were both right! Haha

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Well the magnificent foxface says 125, but the lo and one spot say 70 gallons. Lol we were both right! Haha

Ahhh ok cool I trend to prefer the one spot myself awesome fish but the magnificent is beautiful without a doubt! If the other say 70 then its probably feasible to keep one in a 90 unless there's some huge difference between the species

Nah not a big differance in the type of fish except the mag fox gets 2" bigger then the one spot i believe. Its not a huge differance so i think its fine...

Agreed I can't two inches needing two extra feet in length!

la goes big for minimum tank size on a lot of their fish. bluezoo is what i was looking at.

also like was recommended to me by koi some time ago... bluezoo has different fish than la, and its good to look everywhere so you dont miss types of fish not typically offered and for a second opinion on recommendations.

most that would post in this thread have read hondatech's post how his pink tail went after chop. thoughts on that considering. im looking at a more aggressive trigger.

brent "humuhumu" had picaso trigger and a lion, so im hoping for the best there.

any other concerns? recommendations?

I would rethink the large angels. They swim a lot like tangs do. Not even going to tell you my opinion on the triggers lol they are beautiful fish but can't be trusted. What about a Toby type puffer? I'll admit they can have issues with lions but not any more that is possible with a trigger. I also saw those sea goblins on la a few days ago but i haven't done much reading on them personally. I like the eel , tusk , mag fox and lion combo . If you can swing those fish and a Toby type of puff I think it would be a sweet tank IMO

thank, your reserve about triggers is what i have read about puffers. thats why one isnt on my list.

i will admit that i have as many conflicting views on puffers as i have on triggers.

Well if you remember I have been always worried about a trigger fish . Most pink tails are said to be passive. mine was obviously just a straight up jerk . Chop could have easily killed the trigger but he just turned away even though most experiences are the puff taking the fish out. Just depends on the fish . If you go with a puff or trig your basically taking the same risk so do you feel lucky lol .

foxface
tusk
zebra eel

which lion? i like the radiata
now up in the air about the trigger or puffer, it would be great if i could do both.

the tank is almost stocked. man thats a lot of expensive fish

I would try the puff you mentioned they are nice fish . The radiata or antennata are the only ones I would consider since they are slighty smaller than zebras. Just make sure you have your lucky socks on when you go to the Lfs to buy them.

Back
Top Bottom