Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjacks View Post
Ok well we have some hiccups ...i ended up coming home with all his fish except the eel.. which included a flame angel, saddle puffer, niger trigger (i will be rehoming asap) , chocolate chip starfish, long tentacle anemone... i think thats it..
He also included a sump thats bigger then what it came with orginally .. he had been using for it.. he included a heater all the surge protectors and everything he used to run the tank EXCEPT the protein skimmer said he broke it ..

Not quite what i had planned...
Good choice rehoming the Niger. Watch the long tentacle nem and make sure it doesn't look to be bleaching or shrinking. I'd look into bubble magus or reef octopus skimmers, eshopps also has pretty good skimmers now. You want something rated for about 150-200 gallons

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #12

How soon should i get the skimmer.. i mean can it wait a couple weeks until next check ... ill have wave makers and all setup...

Old 10-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjacks View Post
How soon should i get the skimmer.. i mean can it wait a couple weeks until next check ... ill have wave makers and all setup...
Yeah that should be fine just do larger water changes until then. That should keep the tank in balance.
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:59 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

if I could ask, why are you rehoming the niger? I have one in my tank and he is a sweetheart. even have corals in there that he doesn't touch
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:15 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I read you brought the tank home, so I am assuming you already have it set up. I just have to say one thing about washing the sand (in case you didn't set it up yet).

WHY? It basically takes all the life out that was in it and kills it. You don't want to wash live sand. It helps with everything, from helping with the cycle, and keeping your tank stable. Don't WASH out your live sand! What you need to do instead is stir it up and release all the gases that would be trapped in it from sitting so long. Do this in a bucket, Once you scoop it out into a few clean buckets and stir it up. What I did was I took the top layer off and threw it away. I removed about 10 pounds of my 60 pounds I had. Just to get rid of some of the nasty stuff on top. I than stirred it up in my tank (I was transferring from tank to tank), and scooped up the sand with a sieve (To let the old water drip out), I than put it straight into my other tank along with some brand new (not live) sand. The only sand I rinsed is the new sand because it was not live at all and I wanted to take out as much cloudiness as I could. It was only cloudy for about 4 hours being my filter did a good job clearing it up.

I believe keeping my sand live and not rinsing it has helped my tank with the transfer. I had no ammonia spikes and my tank is stable and my sand looks white as the day I bought it. Just take off a little from the top layer and stir to release the gas and sieve it out!

I hope your tank is going well, and I am sure it is. Live rock really helps with the cycle too, so if you got enough of that you should be good. Plus all the filters already being seeded! So I am assuming you are having no issues.

If you have the puffer fish, you won't be able to get a Star! The Puffers like to eat stars and any clean up crew for the most part. Good luck! I am just letting you know my experience with my puffer, I have not been able to keep any Clean up Crew because of him, but I wouldn't trade him in for nothing. :-p

Also the live sand rinsing, that is my opinion and my experience! :-p
Old 10-27-2013, 03:02 AM   #16

Omg issues doent even cover it.. its been a long day we just finished setup we started at 430p .. we had a few leaks everytime we fixed one something else leaked... we didnt clean anything thank God or i would have still been there.. the guy was really nice and gave me more then i paid for.. he threw in snails ,hermit crabs, the star fish , heater ,surge protectors, extra filter pad, and the trigger.. i didnt want. But he said if we didnt take him he would take him out back n shoot him so we took him .... i think we need more rock .. i wasnt prepared for fish so i had to run home n grab my freshwater testing kit and a thermometer primer and drip acclimater air pump and bubbler... glad its over my mom n dad n husband didnt help bc tension was high i was alil lost on some plumbing since it was drilled but we got it and everyone seems happy
Old 10-27-2013, 03:06 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282 View Post
I read you brought the tank home, so I am assuming you already have it set up. I just have to say one thing about washing the sand (in case you didn't set it up yet).

WHY? It basically takes all the life out that was in it and kills it. You don't want to wash live sand. It helps with everything, from helping with the cycle, and keeping your tank stable. Don't WASH out your live sand! What you need to do instead is stir it up and release all the gases that would be trapped in it from sitting so long. Do this in a bucket, Once you scoop it out into a few clean buckets and stir it up. What I did was I took the top layer off and threw it away. I removed about 10 pounds of my 60 pounds I had. Just to get rid of some of the nasty stuff on top. I than stirred it up in my tank (I was transferring from tank to tank), and scooped up the sand with a sieve (To let the old water drip out), I than put it straight into my other tank along with some brand new (not live) sand. The only sand I rinsed is the new sand because it was not live at all and I wanted to take out as much cloudiness as I could. It was only cloudy for about 4 hours being my filter did a good job clearing it up.

I believe keeping my sand live and not rinsing it has helped my tank with the transfer. I had no ammonia spikes and my tank is stable and my sand looks white as the day I bought it. Just take off a little from the top layer and stir to release the gas and sieve it out!

I hope your tank is going well, and I am sure it is. Live rock really helps with the cycle too, so if you got enough of that you should be good. Plus all the filters already being seeded! So I am assuming you are having no issues.

If you have the puffer fish, you won't be able to get a Star! The Puffers like to eat stars and any clean up crew for the most part. Good luck! I am just letting you know my experience with my puffer, I have not been able to keep any Clean up Crew because of him, but I wouldn't trade him in for nothing. :-p

Also the live sand rinsing, that is my opinion and my experience! :-p
the benefits of washing it thoroughly outweigh the negatives. if the setup was packed full of snails and hermits, the OP would want to spend some time sifting them out and keeping them, but its def best to just wash the sand thoroughly and start with a fresh slate. Not to say that your method is wrong or not right, just think that its a bit of a gamble. also any sort of chemicals that may or may not have been used in the previous setup could be contained in the sand, so a good washing will rid the sand of any chems.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:23 AM   #18

He said he didnt use chemicals but i dont know.. i do know im.glad we didnt take time to clean much bc we would still be there.. but thought i would load photos .. oh n we are rehoming the trigger due to its need for a longer tank ... i know i failed to mention that earlier..

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131027_012244.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	204446

Name:	ForumRunner_20131027_012310.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	204447

Name:	ForumRunner_20131027_012101.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	204442

Name:	ForumRunner_20131027_012132.jpg
Views:	59
ID:	204443

Name:	ForumRunner_20131027_012205.jpg
Views:	57
ID:	204445

Name:	ForumRunner_20131027_012155.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	204444
Old 10-27-2013, 04:59 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

ahh the streamers on that lil guy!! wish I was closer, id def take him. they are gorgeous fish. good luck with the tank and keep us informed. oh and check out Bubble Magus Curve 5 skimmers..i have the curve 7 on my 125 and its amazing
Old 10-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #20

He is a stunning fish... mom luvs him bc he already has started greeting her and trying to get her attention but we were told he would need the bigger tank.and would possibly eat our smaller fish... and well that cant happen... lol i keep saying our but its all hers ..lol

Im keeping an eye on the levels and so far things are safe no spikes but im watching for it in case . Going to buy her all the things she needs today after church except the skimmer gonna look for a good deal and a good skimmer instead of settling for the one our local petsmart has :/ gonna try and check out the salt water shop if we can ever catch it open it has weird hours

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com