Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So it's a wonder why many reef enthusiasts are completely against sand and have either none at all or a very minimal amount at the front for decoration purposes only.

I would never reuse sand. Everything that doesn't go down your overflow or eaten by your cuc will sit in the sand bed and stew. Why would you want to stir that up and allow it into a new system? I would much rather rise it and reuse it or for the sake of a few quid buy new stuff. Even if you buy dry sand and rinse it it will become 'live sand' before you know it.

Fish: Moorish Idol, Powder Blue Tang, Hippo Tang, J Emperor Angel, 3 Chromis, 2 Black & White Clowns, Yellow Tang,
begginersluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #22

This morning the nem positioned itself better... and we found we have a glass nem that was burrowed in one of the rocks.. i grabbed some frozen food today a salt water mix i think it was called had emerald mix, marine mix, squid & brine shrimp.. then i grabbed marine pellets with garlic by omega one.

I also grabbed a digital thermo. and a hydrometer .. i got lucky we actually measured the salinity to 1.026 with nothing but my moms food scale..

Puffs my fav ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131027_190120.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	204558

Name:	ForumRunner_20131027_190130.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	204559

Name:	ForumRunner_20131027_190206.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	204560

Name:	ForumRunner_20131027_190221.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	204561

Name:	ForumRunner_20131027_190248.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	204562

Old 10-28-2013, 01:17 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Check out Marine Depot | Aquarium Supplies, Fish Tanks and LED Lights for skimmers. Id suggest looking at the bubble magus curve series (i have a 7 on my 125) you could prob do the curve 5.
Reef octopus is another great skimmer.
Eshopps, ive heard from a few hobbyists and from reading reviews, that they tend to be a bit louder than normal. Ive never heard one in person but it seems as though thats a reoccurring problem
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:54 AM   #24

K thanks... i actually just finished searching some on ebay and was heading over to marinedepot
Old 10-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Aquarium Marine Supplement RED SEA Aiptasia X Glass 60ml Anemone Killer | eBay

I used that and it killed my Aiptasia fast. The fish also ate it and no ill effects. I think the fish got a little drunk. :-p So just do what the directions say and inject that little bugger and you should be good to go!
Old 10-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by begginersluck View Post
So it's a wonder why many reef enthusiasts are completely against sand and have either none at all or a very minimal amount at the front for decoration purposes only.

I would never reuse sand. Everything that doesn't go down your overflow or eaten by your cuc will sit in the sand bed and stew. Why would you want to stir that up and allow it into a new system? I would much rather rise it and reuse it or for the sake of a few quid buy new stuff. Even if you buy dry sand and rinse it it will become 'live sand' before you know it.
If you got the CUC in the sand bed, why would you want to kill them? They will eat what is mostly in the sand bad. You stir up the sand bed to release the gases before moving it. That way the pockets of gas will not release in the new tank. Of course if your moving the sand to a new tank it's going to be release anyway when you move the sand. Where some people get in trouble is when they move the tank and set the tank back up with the sand bed hardly being touched. The gas pockets might release than and kill the fish!

When You rinse live sand you kill everything that is in it. All the beneficial Bactria would be gone. Sure it becomes live again in a few months, but why kill everything when you already got it? That's like buying live sand at the store and rinsing it out effectively making it no longer live and wasting your money. Some people tell people to do that on this website! I was told to take the live sand I just bought and rinse it from the bag with fresh water. Why? Why waste what some people pay loads of money for?

When I moved my sand over, I simply took the top layer off and threw it away, but the deep stuff I kept and used it for my tank. It still looks good and white with no issues. It's been close to 8 months and my tank is still going strong, and I have not had a single water quality issue! Plus my sand is still as white as the day I bought it!
Old 10-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282 View Post
If you got the CUC in the sand bed, why would you want to kill them? They will eat what is mostly in the sand bad. You stir up the sand bed to release the gases before moving it. That way the pockets of gas will not release in the new tank. Of course if your moving the sand to a new tank it's going to be release anyway when you move the sand. Where some people get in trouble is when they move the tank and set the tank back up with the sand bed hardly being touched. The gas pockets might release than and kill the fish!

When You rinse live sand you kill everything that is in it. All the beneficial Bactria would be gone. Sure it becomes live again in a few months, but why kill everything when you already got it? That's like buying live sand at the store and rinsing it out effectively making it no longer live and wasting your money. Some people tell people to do that on this website! I was told to take the live sand I just bought and rinse it from the bag with fresh water. Why? Why waste what some people pay loads of money for?

When I moved my sand over, I simply took the top layer off and threw it away, but the deep stuff I kept and used it for my tank. It still looks good and white with no issues. It's been close to 8 months and my tank is still going strong, and I have not had a single water quality issue! Plus my sand is still as white as the day I bought it!
we already discussed cleaning the sand on page 2. no need to go over it again. point is its a gamble anytime you don't thoroughly wash the sand when moving tanks.
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #28

Ok so i have been told different things and wonder whats best .. my mom is wanting to possibly start adding fish in 2weeks.. told her to wait and make sure the levels stay safe.. all the fish she wants basically range from 3-4inches except the 2 clarkii clowns 6in and the long nose hawk fish 5in according to liveaquaria

Ok also was told she needs a larger cleaning crew of like 15-20 hermit crabs 20snails then since she wants feather dusters 6-8... does that sound accurate ?

So far everything is going good with the tank except the temp she is buying a fan now to help keep the water cooler it stays at pretty much 80-82į without a heater
Old 10-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjacks View Post
Ok so i have been told different things and wonder whats best .. my mom is wanting to possibly start adding fish in 2weeks.. told her to wait and make sure the levels stay safe.. all the fish she wants basically range from 3-4inches except the 2 clarkii clowns 6in and the long nose hawk fish 5in according to liveaquaria

Ok also was told she needs a larger cleaning crew of like 15-20 hermit crabs 20snails then since she wants feather dusters 6-8... does that sound accurate ?

So far everything is going good with the tank except the temp she is buying a fan now to help keep the water cooler it stays at pretty much 80-82į without a heater
You don't "need" a cuc. They help with algae and stuff but they also need to be fed once algae runs out. I have a hermit and 4 snails left from my initial 7 hermit, 12 snail cuc. You don't need that many of either IMO. Hermits are a pain as well as they kill snails for shells and steal food from coral. Feather dusters aren't cuc, they are filter feeders that eat microscopic particles in the water column. If you want 6-8 that's entirely up to you. I don't think your tank will cycle in 2 weeks, more like a month but it could just watch all your parameters. Once they go up and come back to 0 you are cycled.
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #30

Oh.. i was actually under the impression that since it was setup until and hour before we got it that it didnt really need to cycle as it had all the bacteria and what not already there but to be cautious as it may minicycle due to moving it ..

So far only had a small ammonia spike of 0.25 ..

I think 1 feather duster is all she really wants 2 at the most .. i figure moms puff will eat the snails or crabs eventually .. i brought a few baby ramshorns and the triggee and puff really enjoyd them.. i plan to get some shrimp or clam on a half shell to feed them too..

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com