A Blenny Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwright000

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Does anyone know if housing a midas blenny and a lawn mower blenny in a 180 gal tank would be an issue. I already have the midas blenny. I dont want to cause probs. Compatibilty says with caution.

Mixing Blennies I would use caution. Even though 180 gallons is a big tank. I would be more concerned if this was a 55 gallon tank or less. Still realize that lawnmower blennies will eat algeas in your tank and then starve to death because they dont adapt to prepared foods. Make sure if you get one that you see it eat before you get it so you know that it already eats prepared foods. If not it could be trouble down the road when the algea runs out in your tank. Good Luck.

I agree, definitely make sure he will eat prepared food before you purchase him.

Thanks for the info it definitely gives me something to think about. I wasn't aware that it would ultimately starve, that is no fun. Additionally My wife will kill me if I do something that messes with her blenny. :lol: Sounds like the money will be better spent on something else.

Thanks A Bunch

John

Blennies are really, really cool creatures. If you can find one that will readily accept prepared foods, then great! I had one in my 29 gallon and even though it constantly ate brine shrimp, hair algae, and film algae on my rocks, that still wasnt enough for it, and it starved to death. I couldn't get it to eat anything else. In a 180 gallon that is well established (atleast a year old) and has a LOT of algae, I'd say you might be okay, but having one accept prepared foods such as seaweed strips or nori would be a huge plus.

Back
Top Bottom