A Few Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kirschwasser37

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First question is, how much LR should be in a 55 gal tank? I've read the 1lb per 10 gallon rule, so I got 6 lbs, but it looks pretty paltry in there. Should I get more?

Next question, I added the LR 4 days ago, and had no ammonia spike, but 3 days out, I got 10 ppm nitrAtes. Is my tank cycled? How can I be sure?

I'd really appreciate any help!

As far as I have read anything from 0.5-1.5lbs of LR per gallon is normal. Most try for 1lb or more per gallon though. So if it's a 55 gallon 27.5 lbs or higher depending on what you are going to keep fish,corals? Your LR might have already been cured so you didn't have an ammonia spike. I have read tons about tossing an un cooked shrimp into the water and letting it cycle wothout adding fish. Do you have fish already?

Doing fish only or reef? 1 to 1.5 per gallon in my opinion provides great biological filtration for either. And don't pay too much attention to the pounds. It's the surface area that counts most. Look for lighter pieces that look like swiss cheese or english muffins. Stuff with holes all over it.

Thanks so much for the advice! I want fish only to start, but would like to progress to reef eventually. I don't have any fish yet, and I wanted to make sure all the LR was good and the tank was cycled before adding any.

Another question. Is there anything wrong with an airstone? I want to use one for purely aesthetic purposes. :)

No reason why you can't have an air stone. Your tank your choice :) in my tank I've got half a kg of Lr to a gallon seems to work well just get good quality :) having said that I do run a fuge hope this helps

Ok, more questions. Is it ok to cycle the tank with pretty much cured LR (my ammonia only went to 0.25 and then to zero, with nitrates up to 80). I've read many posts about cycling with LR abd a shrimp, and was wondering if it will be ok with the cycling being done with just the LR.

If your LR was truely cycled then yes it should speed up the process. What did you put in your tank to start the cycle?

If your live rock came from a previous mature system then it will sPeed it up he'll of a lot. Also if you could get a hand full of sOmeones sand bed or maybe a bit of their filters filter wool that would automatically bring bacteria into your tank as well of the live rock. HoPe this helPs.

We have an excellent article in the SW articles section on cycling. Good luck on the tank.

Back
Top Bottom