a friend advised me i shouldn't have bought a tang for my 30 gallon tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltwaterfishgirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
So a friend advised me i shouldn't have bought a tang for my 30 gallon tank.

Opps. I love him.

So hubby wont get a bigger tank .... So question is dont they inly grow as big as there environment? Or will he get 8" big.

Well that would be a bad thing if you stunt his growth. :-( The fish will most likely get stressed and and fall ill. Whether he makes it long term is questionable. A 30g tank for a tang is really really a bad idea. The only option I see for the fish is to either return him or rehome him. Nothing good can come from that fish in such a small tank.

I totally understand. I got a sw tank to have a yellow tang, a 29g one and found out it wasnt big enough. THEN I went to a 55g tank and still that was too small. I finally said the heck with it and got a 6 foot 125g tank and now I have my tangs. :)

They are awesome fish but they don't really do well in smaller tanks. They need lots of swim room and they get pretty big. I hate saying he has to go but it's whats best for the fish. Do you know anyone that has a larger tank maybe you can send him that way and if you get a bigger tank you could always get him back. Just trying to look on the bright side. :-D

Lots of other fish other than tangs. lol

An angel, blennies, gobies, clowns, cardinals, royal gramma, sixline wrasse etc....

Yeah your friend was right,also SW fish don't get stunted,,but they do get very stressed like carey said and their internal organs suffer

Just get a dwarf angel, their are tons of small, colorful hardy species that would do great!

Dwarf Fuzzy Lions are a really cool fish. They won't get as big as the Volitans. You will always need a supply of live ghost shrimp as mine is spoiled. That's all it will eat.

You might try to take your time catching her, just go slow. Your tank isn't that big so it shouldn't be too too hard to get her.
If i can cathc fish out of a 6 foot tank you can for sure catch one.

Good luck!

ps- did you find a place to send her? Or back to the lfs?

Back
Top Bottom