A real beginner! -Help! any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SENSEI

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone!
I am completely new to this. I have never owned any type of saltwater tank and decided it's time!
to make the long story short, I jumped the gun and bought me a 90g tank (48x18.5x25.5 with overflow) w/stand & canopy, a protien skimmer (AquaEurousa for upto 135g), don't have the sump yet cuz not sure wat size to get, pump, heater, 48" 260w PL light, and 2 bags of 20lb live sand(is that enough?), 50lbs. of liverock, and 90g of ocean water.... now what? lol.
can anybody please help and tell me my next move? would really appreciate it!

...Decided to join forums and ask for help cuz my lfs, jus wants my money. lol

Well, that actually sounds like a decent start. you might need more sand...but that is up to you IMO. Put it all in your tank. Place the sand in your tank, place the bags ontop of the sand, and gently pour your water in. This will help with it being cloudy so you can atleast see what you are doing lol.

Secondly, the rule of thumb is 1-1.5 lbs of live rock per gallon. So, you will be needing more LR. Just find yourself a good deal somewhere, if it be off line, local tearing down his tank...whatever.

Take the next month to research. You'll be cycling your tank during this time so it isn't like you will be able to add anything until that is over with. During this time, you NEED to get a test kit. I'd recommend an API test kit. Strip tests are inaccurate. A refractometer will also help you with your water tests.

There is a wealth of knowledge in this forum. Read around and feel free to ask.

Welcome to AA.

Well, that actually sounds like a decent start. you might need more sand...but that is up to you IMO. Put it all in your tank. Place the sand in your tank, place the bags ontop of the sand, and gently pour your water in. This will help with it being cloudy so you can atleast see what you are doing lol.

Secondly, the rule of thumb is 1-1.5 lbs of live rock per gallon. So, you will be needing more LR. Just find yourself a good deal somewhere, if it be off line, local tearing down his tank...whatever.

Take the next month to research. You'll be cycling your tank during this time so it isn't like you will be able to add anything until that is over with. During this time, you NEED to get a test kit. I'd recommend an API test kit. Strip tests are inaccurate. A refractometer will also help you with your water tests.

There is a wealth of knowledge in this forum. Read around and feel free to ask.

Welcome to AA.

Thank You Sniperhank! do you think i can just use dead rock (i think thats wat is called.lol) to make up the difference. Also once everything is in and ready to cycle, wat will b my next step? Do i have to test the water if so, how? and will i know when i can add fish. at this point i just wanna do fowlr.
thanks!

If by dead rock u mean base rock yes you can. This will become love overtime. When ur cycling youll know where you are from testing youll have spikes on ammonia then nitrate then nitrate. The tests are simple high school chemistry. And no it isnt hard. Follow the instructions on the kit and youll be fine. Jist make sire its a salt water kit and not freshwatwr.

If by dead rock u mean base rock yes you can. This will become love overtime. When ur cycling youll know where you are from testing youll have spikes on ammonia then nitrate then nitrate. The tests are simple high school chemistry. And no it isnt hard. Follow the instructions on the kit and youll be fine. Jist make sire its a salt water kit and not freshwatwr.

ok. yes base rock.lol do u recommend a specific test kit?

The most important tests you need to conduct are for:
Nitrites
Nitrates
Ammonia
PH
Salinity
Alkalinity

You can also think about calcium and phosphates if you want corals, but that can be a little down the road. The above tests should be good enough to begin with.

I'd order the rock from reefrocks.net. They sell 50lbs of baserock for $85 then id add another 10lbs for $2 a pound from their site so I could have 110lbs of rock which is good. They've also got 40lbs of washed sand for $15 with free shipping

The most important tests you need to conduct are for:
Nitrites
Nitrates
Ammonia
PH
Salinity
Alkalinity

You can also think about calcium and phosphates if you want corals, but that can be a little down the road. The above tests should be good enough to begin with.

thanks for the advice stevedpepper! and another couple of Q's- when should i test for these? during my cycle period? and how long do i cycle?

Look for a API Reef Master Test Kit. When I had a Nano tank I drop $50 for my master test kit good for FW and SW.

thanks jessemessykin! i will look into that. do i need a refractor too?

I'd order the rock from reefrocks.net. They sell 50lbs of baserock for $85 then id add another 10lbs for $2 a pound from their site so I could have 110lbs of rock which is good. They've also got 40lbs of washed sand for $15 with free shipping

thanks ibrahim! i'll check it out. how does this compare to the marco rock (base)? what u think about that?

SENSEI said:
thanks ibrahim! i'll check it out. how does this compare to the marco rock (base)? what u think about that?

I think the Marco rock is actually better it looks more porous to me. I just mentioned the reef rock because it was cheaper lol. But the sand they've got is really gooood

I think the Marco rock is actually better it looks more porous to me. I just mentioned the reef rock because it was cheaper lol. But the sand they've got is really gooood

just went to the site and and saw the rock, it looks good to. yeah it is cheaper though. i went on ebay and saw the marco rock for $69 for 25lbs.

Back
Top Bottom