Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2004, 01:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

A-technical newbie FOWLR setup -- 125G

Cheers!

First, let me preface w/ saying that I am a woman with little plumbing experience (will leave this part to my husband), and ZERO fish experience but have a couple of weeks off from school & would like to buy the equipment I need to start a FOWLR system for a 125G tank that was purchased some time ago.

I don't anticipate adding any fish for awhile, until I get everything under control, so I just need some advice on the minimal equipment required to get the tank up & running. I am in no hurry!!!

These are my initial thoughts, what am I missing -- advice would be appreciated.

1. 1/2 base rock, 1/2 LR
2. 4" argonite sand
3. Skimmer -- Aqua C Remora?
4. 4 Powerheads
5. Haven't purchased the lighting yet, but I'm thinking of mixing white w/ actinic? Two of each in a twin bulb hood?

What other filtration is optimal? Should I be looking at a sump? Or will an external canister be ok?

Thank you in advance for your help!!!

Old 12-20-2004, 09:39 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The skimmer might be a little undersized for a 125gal.

I would suggest a VHO lighting setup for your tank over a simple double florecent fixture. At least two full lenght VHO bulbs and four bulbs should your budget permit. This will light your tank nicely and give your fish and rock a good visual apperance. I would go with 10K and actinic or 10K and 50/50 combo.

I would go with a sump personally. Simple canister filters just wont push the water volume. If you size your sump and your return pump its possible to do away with powerheads in the main tank or at the very least limit their numbers.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 11:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Any suggestion for a reputable skimmer of this size tank? I'm trying to get educated before I go talking to my LFS so that I have an idea of what my gameplan is.

The VHO lighting sounds like a good idea -- I think I'll go with that, I read about it in the Conscientious Marine Aquarist. From my reading, it did seem like an external canister filter was questionable, so I guess a sump is necessary.

Am I missing anything else critical to get started?
Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it!
Old 12-20-2004, 01:05 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Well i wouldnt say a sump is necessary but when compairing the options of sump or canister then yes a sump would be better IMO.

If you chose to run with out a sump you wouldnt be hurting yourself. You would need to add top off water directly to the tank vs adding it to the sump. The water level in the tank would flux from top off to top off due to evaporation where as with a sump the display tanks water level is constant and the water level in the sump changes.

You would need more PH's in the display tank with out a pump unless you rigged up some closed loops to provide water circulation.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.5g, fowlr, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com