Acrylic tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christine22780

Aquarium Advice Activist
What are good reasons to buy an acrylic tank? I'm trying to convince myself to get one instead of sticking with my 46gal glass bow front.
I'm in a dilemma- i need to buy new lighting ASAP since my compact isn't functioning.... So I am thinking new light or new tank and light....
Thoughts???:confused:

Acrylic is stronger and more clear, but scratches easy. I personally like the look of the corners/edges better. When tanks get big, the price goes way up. I've always done acrylic, but want to upgrade next year to a 200g, maybe 300g + tank. I'm going glass with that. :)

I would go up to a 72gal at best- unless I displayed it in a wall ( which would be great- but I would lose a hall closet) how much do acrylic tanks 50/60/70 go for? I haven't shopped around for them at all... Have been shopping lighting though.

Christine22780 said:
I would go up to a 72gal at best- unless I displayed it in a wall ( which would be great- but I would lose a hall closet) how much do acrylic tanks 50/60/70 go for? I haven't shopped around for them at all... Have been shopping lighting though.

Personally i would go glass. Count on a 72g acrylic bowfront to cost 700-800 bucks easy.

Its all personal choice. I love our acrylic! The round edge looks better in my opinion. We went with acrylic because it is stronger. We have small children so it was a must. We spent $300 on our 75 with stand lights canopy and other items used off Craigslist.

I got my 75g acrylic (with built-in filter with bio-balls), stand and canopy for $150 (no lights, so add another $90 for T5s). Craigslist has good deals when people are moving and can't take their tanks along.

It's personal preference in the end though. I don't think that there is a great objective argument for either.

Acrylic is stronger and more clear. It doesn't shatter if it gets broken and it's not likely to produce razor sharp edges if it does break. Acrylic scratches easier and must be maintained carefully. Acrylic can be bent and molded into any shape you want. Acrylic is more expensive. Scratches can be polished out. With glass you'll just have to deal with it.

With all of the pros over glass, I still prefer glass for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom