Acrylic vs. Glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alaher2

Aquarium Advice Activist
Which do you prefer for starting a new 100+gallon FOWLR tank? I have heard good arguments from both sides and I was wondering what everyone else had to say.

I would say in the long run the glass would hold up better for you. In just the little bit of time I've been messing around with plex sumps I've found out just how easy that stuff gets scratched up. It no big deal on a sump but on the main tank I would imagine hair being pulled out. On the other hand plex is lighter and you dont have to worry about it shattering like glass if it gets struck by something. In the end that call is up to you, but me I'm staying with a glass tank. :D

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
If you are not going with an abnormal shape or custom built tank, I would go with glass. Acrylic is lighter and it claims to be a bit clearer, but as mentioned, it does scratch very esaily. On an up note, you can get scratch repair kits for acrylic tanks. I still prefer my glass.

Thanks, for the input. I already have a 40gal glass tank running for a few months now, but I was just looking for options for a new tank, and just wanted to see what everyone else preferred.

Don't forget that acrylic is quite expensive compared to glass. Acrylic is tied to petroleum prices, so its up there right now.

I prefer acrylic on this. I have been in the hobby for some time and recently after selling my 75 glass reef and taking a 6 month lay off, I decided to buy a 40 gallon sea clear acrylic. I love it. The clarity is fantastic, they last "forever" (don't have to wory about seals), they are so light weight for the sake of moving and I like the lack of a frame.

I know you pay twice the price, but they are a life long tank.

Oh yeah, I set up a tropheus tank with a small colony of 8 in a tang set up and couldn't be happier with my little biotope.

I can attest to acrylic being clearer and having a higher aptitude for getting scratched.

The scratches encourage algae growth and more cleaning which leads to more and more scratches. Vicious cycle. Tossed my 75g acrylic for a 55g glass. Anything over 150g glass tends to give a green hue unless its rather expensive (sounds like diamonds a little, does it not?). The hue can also be offset with intense lighting.

For a 100g tank I'd definitely go for glass. Especially if its a standard rectangle shape.

100g glass is also transportable with only 2 adult persons.

Back
Top Bottom