Activated Carbon's Necessity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rejoice

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi have a stupid question, but I've heard conflicting advice in regards to the need for activated carbon in FOWLR tanks.

I have bio-chem zorb media in my skilter (i know, get a better protein skimmer...I'm saving up for it) but that's pretty much it.

So my question is, how important is it. How much do you have in your filters?

Jess

GAC can be a good form of chemical filtration for tanks when used properly. It does need to be changed on a very regualr basis in order to be effective. Some hobbiests run it a week or two every month. Personally, I use Chemi-Pure 24/7 and change it monthly in both of my reefs.

Cheaper quality GAC can leach phosphate over time which is why you need to be careful in the brand you buy. Using Chemi-Pure would be more effective and I use it as well instead of GAC. Essentially Chemi-pure is a type of GAC but much higher in quality.

Never used it in my fowlr and its been running for a few yars now. I use it once in a while in my reef if the water does not look clear. IMO not needed.. If you use meds in the tank then you should have some on hand to use after your done with the meds. JMO>.

Back
Top Bottom