Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-15-2008, 07:13 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Keep in mind, there are nitrItes and nitrAtes, two different things. Kurt is saying of you start with nitrAtes, you will be replacing the water with nitrAtes in it already. 5ppm is livable, you can add a sump and some macroalgaes to reduce the nitrAtes.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your nitrItes will go away when your tank is cycled, or you've done enough water changes to dilute them to an unmeasurable amount. Again... you NEED nitrites for the cycle to finish out. Don't forget your goal at this point... to get your tank cycled.

Regarding my comment about nitrates, while there are mechanisms that can reduce nitrates (macroalgae, deep sand beds, etc), if you're literally pouring them back in at every water change you're not going to get much below the source water you start with. For reef tanks, the goal is to have as low of nitrates as possible. I think the commonly used "limit" for reef tanks is 10ppm or so, but in reality it's "as close to 0.0 as possible". For fish only, 5ppm is no issue at all. Just for reference, US Federal requirements for treated drinking water allow for no more than 10.0 ppm nitrates. Normally treated drinking water from the tap will have less than 1.0ppm of nitrates.

All I'm saying is that just because it's "natural" ocean water doesn't mean it'd good, and 5ppm nitrates is far from perfect. We dump a LOT of stuff into our rivers/oceans - a lot more than our simple tests can detect.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:11 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Your nitrItes will go away when your tank is cycled, or you've done enough water changes to dilute them to an unmeasurable amount. Again... you NEED nitrites for the cycle to finish out. Don't forget your goal at this point... to get your tank cycled.

Regarding my comment about nitrates, while there are mechanisms that can reduce nitrates (macroalgae, deep sand beds, etc), if you're literally pouring them back in at every water change you're not going to get much below the source water you start with. For reef tanks, the goal is to have as low of nitrates as possible. I think the commonly used "limit" for reef tanks is 10ppm or so, but in reality it's "as close to 0.0 as possible". For fish only, 5ppm is no issue at all. Just for reference, US Federal requirements for treated drinking water allow for no more than 10.0 ppm nitrates. Normally treated drinking water from the tap will have less than 1.0ppm of nitrates.

ok i understand what you are saying now. So do you think for a FOWLR and some simple corals ( just a few) that I will be alright.
All I'm saying is that just because it's "natural" ocean water doesn't mean it'd good, and 5ppm nitrates is far from perfect. We dump a LOT of stuff into our rivers/oceans - a lot more than our simple tests can detect.

ok i understand what you are saying now. So do you think for a FOWLR and some simple corals ( just a few) that I will be alright.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilcox1208 View Post
yup sure did, 0 nitrites, 5 nitrates, 0 ammonia. PH 8.4

Now I didnt just pull it from the ocean, its like a filter system, and lots and lots of people just pull right up and hose it into their containers! Its great! Dont ever have to but SW again! lol

Ive heard a lot of people doing this, so I figured Id give it a shot....

anyways, anybody got the anwser yet! lol
What kind of filtering system are they using? I'm more worried about there being some fish-prone diseases or parasites in the water I'm dumping into my aquarium...
Old 09-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Toronto View Post
What kind of filtering system are they using? I'm more worried about there being some fish-prone diseases or parasites in the water I'm dumping into my aquarium...

haha no, well I thought the same thing you did. I dont know what kind of filter system it is, but its like 3 HUGE white canisters and you just hose it out. I have heard of many people using it. The guy who told me has been using it in his REEF tank forever and he loves it. Its free and there is nothign wrong with it. When I was there, there was at least 5-6 people there getting the water and that was in a 10 min period! Its good stuff, you live in San Diego or something?

Tags
coral, crushed, crushed coral, live, live sand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com