Add snails/critters during cycling or after?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YourPalCM

Aquarium Advice Regular
Setting up my first FOWLR tank...

Here's my latest dumb question...

When I add my live rock and begin cycling the tank, should I add the critters (snails, crabs, etc) right away or should I wait until the tank has fully cycled?

You need to wait until you do the water change at the end of the cycle. Inverts are very sensitive to poor water quality.

I agree with Hara, if you add them too soon, they more than likely would die, possibly prolonging your cycle.

Agreed with everyone. I have noticed talking to many people that some have a misconception that inverts are not sensitive like fish when in fact most are more sensitive.

The consensus is correct, if you place any inverts into the tank during your cycle, they will not make it. I would wait until your tank is done cycling, do a water change, and the next day test the water. Depending on the results of the water test, then add the inverts you like.

What percentage water change are we talking at the end of cycling?

25%?

Is it ok to simply add cold tap water to the tank and then add salt at the same time?

If there is nothing in the tank. Nothing but salt and water. You`ll need to wait a few days to make sure your salinity is right before adding sand and LR.

melosu58 said:
If there is nothing in the tank. Nothing but salt and water. You`ll need to wait a few days to make sure your salinity is right before adding sand and LR.

Was that in response to me?

My tank right now is cycling with some liverock/baserock and will be ready in January. At this time how much water should I change?

When I do my partial water changes during the week can I simply add water and then add some salt to the tank after?

you want to premix the water before doing the PWC, letting it settle for atleast 24 hours with a heater and powerhead/airstone. Gets the PH where you need it to be and temperature or your readings will be wacky. And if you did it the way you were asking, and had inhabitants you would basically shock/kill them.

fargo_182 said:
you want to premix the water before doing the PWC, letting it settle for atleast 24 hours with a heater and powerhead/airstone. Gets the PH where you need it to be and temperature or your readings will be wacky. And if you did it the way you were asking, and had inhabitants you would basically shock/kill them.

I have 125 with 2x 70gal heaters. I have no way of mixing 12gal of water ahead of time including heating/powerhead.

Water has been evaporating while I'm cycling and I've just been adding cold tap water (as salinity is a little high already as all the salt dissolves) but I was planing to just add cold tap water and salt as required when I did have fish.

And for water changes I'd add warm water/salt but I figured a small change would not affect temperature much or salinity.

You must pre mix your salt water. Rubbermaid tote or I use 5 gallon buckets. Salt is too caustic to put salt straight in the tank. You will meet with disaster adding salt mix straight to your tank. Need to sit at least 24 hrs after pre mix to add to the tank.

I agree with the rest about premixing the water. If you add salt straight to your tank, it could injusre your critters, by burning them. Plus, in pre mixing, it will dissolve equally and settle out what ever gunk is in the salt mix. I put mine in a plastic bucket (in one of my bath tubs), add a ph, salt and heater, on Friday, then forget about it until Sunday (well I test the salinity), then switch out the old SW, clean my equipment and add the new SW.

Back
Top Bottom