Added first fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry what i was getting at is if you have one rated for a 100 gl but got it in a 55 or whatever you have its gunna keep that sum***** sparkling clean.. Maybe some carbon in there too

I know what you meant. I have a 14g BioCube and everything in it is stock. Stock pump in 3rd chamber, Stock wet/dry filtration system with no mods. Should i add something?

thanks scottayy! unfortunately all of the holes that are created don't really have backs to them, so they aren't "real" caves for hiding.

@carey - have you found your biocube's filter system to do a good job of keeping the water clear, or did you have to make mods?

I changed my filter over early on so I dont have a good point of reference.

I use chemipure elite and purigen along with some filter floss for the top chamber on my media basket.

My water does not appear to be very cloudy, just a fair amount of particles floating around. Would chemipure and/or perigean help with this, or is something else recommended? I am probably due for a filter cartridge change soon too. Will do that this weekend.

@carey - what is everything that you have in each of the 3 chambers?

In the first, on top compartment I use filter floss/pad, then the purigen beneath it and the chemipure elite on the bottom. I also have the fuge mod which sits to the left of the media baskets in the back center compartment. I only have chaeto algae in there and some mangroves. I have the LED magnetic light that light up the fuge section.

gotcha! i will try changing the filter cartridge first and see if that helps. my tank has just recently had a particle problem, so i'm thinking a new cartridge/rinsing the sponge in chamber 3 might help...and if not, then i'll go from there! ha.

I had a quick question about snails. I got a couple over the weekend (don't remember what kind, but i know that they can flip themselves over if they get knocked on their back) and I was wondering if they were to die, would they just fall off of whatever they were on? They all of a sudden stopped gliding along the glass, rocks, etc. and are just staying totally still. However, when i try to pick them up they are still very firmly planted. I am a total newb, so forgive me for the lame questions

jamesd28 said:
gotcha! i will try changing the filter cartridge first and see if that helps. my tank has just recently had a particle problem, so i'm thinking a new cartridge/rinsing the sponge in chamber 3 might help...and if not, then i'll go from there! ha.

I had a quick question about snails. I got a couple over the weekend (don't remember what kind, but i know that they can flip themselves over if they get knocked on their back) and I was wondering if they were to die, would they just fall off of whatever they were on? They all of a sudden stopped gliding along the glass, rocks, etc. and are just staying totally still. However, when i try to pick them up they are still very firmly planted. I am a total newb, so forgive me for the lame questions

They're sleeping. Most snails work at night mostly.

@carey - I just checked out that site and that media basket system with the floss, purigen and chemi looks nice. does it work well for you in keeping nitrates low and water clear of algae, etc? I've got a few other questions about this system too (sorry):

1. Since my tank is currently running with livestock in the tank am I still able to switch to this mod and get rid of the stock set up?

2. will removing all of the bioballs and inserting the media basket all at once cause a giant shock to the livestock?

3. how often do you have to change each of the 3 components (floss, purigen, chemi)

4. Since the media basket goes in chamber 2, what do you have in chambers 1 and 3? did you get rid of the stock filter cartridge? What should I put in chamber 1?

Again, i am very sorry for the constant questions. you have already been super helpful to me. Hopefully someone can weigh in on this soon so I can know for sure if it is ok to order this media basket system, or if it's not possible since my tank is already up and running.

If you put in chaeto algae into one of the filter baskets, it will help with any ammonia that may happen since you removed the bioballs. Chambers 1 and 3 stay the same. The chaeto algae will help keep any nuisance algae from growing since it is removing all of the phosphates and nitrates from the water.

If you put in chaeto algae into one of the filter baskets, it will help with any ammonia that may happen since you removed the bioballs. Chambers 1 and 3 stay the same. The chaeto algae will help keep any nuisance algae from growing since it is removing all of the phosphates and nitrates from the water.

Is it the initial removal of the bioballs that could cause ammonia or are the bioballs constantly preventing ammonia, thus removing them would cause it to appear? I have an ammonia detox product by Kent. I'd rather stay away from having the algae in my media basket...dont wanna deal with the underwater light and what not. Would having the floss, purigen, chemi-pure elite combo as seen in the display on mediabaskets.com not be sufficient to fight off ammonia?

Typically how long do those things each last before needed to be changed?

jamesd28 said:
Is it the initial removal of the bioballs that could cause ammonia or are the bioballs constantly preventing ammonia, thus removing them would cause it to appear? I have an ammonia detox product by Kent. I'd rather stay away from having the algae in my media basket...dont wanna deal with the underwater light and what not. Would having the floss, purigen, chemi-pure elite combo as seen in the display on mediabaskets.com not be sufficient to fight off ammonia?

Typically how long do those things each last before needed to be changed?

I'm not really sure how long they last, since I haven't used any. But yes, bioballs have bacteria on them which convert harmful ammonia to nitrite, then from nitrite to nitrate. In all honesty, I wouldnt bother doing this mod if you aren't going to put some chaeto algae in there. You could always just take out the bioballs and insert some live rock rubble and have the same effect. You could always put some chemi pure or purigen in a media bag and stick it in there as well lol. As for the filter floss, you can take out the carbon thing in chamber 1 and stick a ton of filter floss there. That's what I did.

I removed the stock filter cartridge and currently have nothing in that first intake chamber, saving it for the heater if i need it for winter.

I have had the purigen and chemi pure in for about 2 months, looking to change it all out next month. My water stays really clear and the filter pad/floss in the top of the media tray traps all the particulate matter from the tank.

I started with live rock in the back chamber instead of the bioballs and when I added the trays I just swapped them out as i figured the live sand and the live rock would take care of any ammonia spikes, which I didnt get when I swapped.

I would have to say that the fuge was a big deciding point for me, I have noticed my trates stay at about 5ppm now versus 15-20 and I way way overfeed this tank.

Just remember you'll need a light for the fuge if you go in that direction, that website has little ones for like $19 that you can add, i added the JBJ cause I just love to waste money. LOL

Hope that helped a bit. :-D

Bo worries on the questions, hehe..., have you seen my biocube build? ALL I did was ask questions

@carey - I think I want to just do the 3 shelf media tray with the floss, purigen and chemipure in the second chamber. The first chamber I would likely leave empty as well for my heater once it starts getting colder. and then in the 3rd chamber I guess I would just leave the stock sponge and return pump that was included with the cube? So, just to be safe, you don't see a problem with removing all of my bioballs and putting in the media basket with the floss, purigen, chemi while i have water and fish in there rather than prior to setting up the tank

How long has your tank been setup? How much sand and live rock do you have? has your tank been stable as far as parameters? Your main concern is that you still have enough beneficial bacteria for your fish bioload in the tank still when you remove the bioballs.

I also suppose you could put some of the bio balls in one of the compartments of the media tray for a time as well, and then slowly swap over.

I really like the media trays, makes the filtration nice and easy, I got mine used so i didn't have to pay the new price, which is quite pricey in my opinion. lol

I heard that you are not supposed to touch the bioballs at all if you plan to keep them in your tank...false? my tank has been up for about a month now. My ammonia, nitirite, pH and salinity levels have all remained very stable. My nitrates are between 10-20 and I am always trying to get those down lol. Heard that the media basket will aslo do a better job with that than the bio balls. I've got just shy of 20lbs of live sand and even though it looks like I have more live rock (because it isn't super dense), it is only about 10 lbs of live rock. My sand is currently turning a brownish color (which i was told was diatoms and is a normal part of cycling). I haven't had any problems at all so far, but would just be worried that making a big change with the filter system with the fish in there would have a bad outcome (of course i am a newb and don't know even half as much as you guys, so i could be totally wrong). It would probably take a week or 2 for the stuff to arrive anyways, so maybe by then it would be ok? Whatever will be best for my tank

From what I've read yeah, you leave the bioballs alone if you intend on keeping them. If you are only intending on adding the media basket you can leave half the bioballs in. :)

Not sure if I should have, but I swapped out in one day and had no adverse effects on the livestock. I think it would be ok at this stage because not much has built up on the bioballs as far as bacteria since its only been up a short time. So now might be the perfect time to swap. :)

Just my experience maybe someone else can share?

Back
Top Bottom