Adding a blenny, blenny, and a goby...Complications?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jon and Nancy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I am new to this site but I am not new to forums. Not to get caught up with the "hi how are ya's" i'll cut to the chase. I have a 55 gallon FOWLR tank with 56 lbs of live rock and a sand substrate. I am considering adding a tailspot blenny, a lawnmower blenny, and a yellow watchmen goby. Being that I am fairly new to the marine scene, I am wondering if I would have aggression problems between these three fish? Any replies are appreciated :)

Negative they all three have a peaceful disposition you shouldn't have any issues actually. My girlfriends tailspot got sucked up by the guy who cleans my tank last month. She blames me for some reason of course. You shooting for a community reef tank or what?

Negative they all three have a peaceful disposition you shouldn't have any issues actually. My girlfriends tailspot got sucked up by the guy who cleans my tank last month. She blames me for some reason of course. You shooting for a community reef tank or what?

Well right now it is a FOWLR tank but we (me and my fiance) have a aqualife 4 bulb T5 fixture with 4 LED lunar lights that should be arriving at the end of the week :-D So in the future yes it will probably be a community reef tank.

It's always good to prepare for the future... All three should be fairly reef safe as well. The lawnmower is a good algae eater and the yellow watchman will do some sand sifting for you. My tailspot had a lot of personality and ate everything he possibly could but was too small to do a lot of damage to any algae but we sure gave him credit for trying. Do you have any corals yet?

I have a black sailfin blenny and a pink spotted goby and a bullet goby. They do fine together. My only problem is that alot of lawnmower blennies starve to death once the algea is gone. I would make sure that you see him eat some kind of prepared food before you buy him so he wont starve to death.

True I had the same issue with my starry blenny. When my tank was algae free he wouldn't eat. I had to feed him seaweed regularly it was the only thing he would eat and he would only go for it after all the other fish were done with it. I don't think he was aggressive enough to deal with the competition.

It's always good to prepare for the future... All three should be fairly reef safe as well. The lawnmower is a good algae eater and the yellow watchman will do some sand sifting for you. My tailspot had a lot of personality and ate everything he possibly could but was too small to do a lot of damage to any algae but we sure gave him credit for trying. Do you have any corals yet?

Not yet. Probably going to add one or two sometime later this month right before we add a pair of clownfish to the tank. Right now we have a list of fish made up as a long term goal for the tank.

Firefish
paired clownfish (ocellaris, true perc, marron goldstripe, not sure yet)
bangai cardinal
tailspot blenny
lawnmower blenny
yellow watchmen goby
longfin fairy wrasse
coral beauty dwarf angel

While adding fish we will be adding corals in between. I know the coral beauty is not technically reef safe but we plan on getting him last and seeing how that goes.

True I had the same issue with my starry blenny. When my tank was algae free he wouldn't eat. I had to feed him seaweed regularly it was the only thing he would eat and he would only go for it after all the other fish were done with it. I don't think he was aggressive enough to deal with the competition.

hmm, as soon as i drop some pellets in my tank he's after them like he's never seen food! ive bought some seaweed sheets but havent tried them yet though, but i dont think he'll be too shy!

Back
Top Bottom