Adding a fuge to a 55 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sedonawrx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys i have a 55 gal right now, with a pro clear aquatics 75 gal sump below it inside a stand, and i also have a canopy. I have a Rio 2100 return pump right now and i was wondering how i could add a fuge to the system, because i have an extra 10 gallon just sittin around. I cant figure out the best way to set it up and how to do the plumbing....

TIA,
Adam

55 gallon display with 75 gallon sump? I'd be tempted to just partition off some of the sump for a lower flow rate and throw a light down there.

Do you have an overflow box or a drilled tank?
Is there space in the stand for the 10 gallon?
Is there space above the stand? Beside?

I would but there isnt enough space with my sumps design. There is space on the top and to the side of the display but not in the stand. And i have an overflow box, not a drilled tank.

I'd suggest then running a T out of your overflow box, and running some of that water into the fuge beside the main tank, and then having another overflow box or drilled standpipe drain into the sump. (10 gallons are a relatively cheap way to learn how to do your own glass drilling if you want to put a standpipe in.)

thanks for the replies, but i'm still not getting a full understanding of what your saying... i plan on making a stand for the 10 gal so it will be somewhat level with the display, so would gravity be able to carry the water from the overflow to the fuge?

Also, i was just thinking about getting a T for the return pump from my sump to the main tank, and have water pumped into the fuge/display from one tank and gravity feed water back to the sump from both tanks? Would that also work?

Are the tops or the bottoms of the two tanks going to be level? If bottoms, then the 10 gallon could be gravity fed from the 55. If tops, then your idea would work better.

Back
Top Bottom