Adding a New Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alaunis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all, I just joined the site! :)
So my male clownfish died a while back, I think from stress (he lost his color and stopped swimming around as much. I used to have a very aggressive damsel).

My mom happened to be out near my lfs, which is pretty far away from my house, and she picked me up a clownfish. I wanted to get a much smaller one than the one already in my tank because I've heard that's the best. Anyways, she brought home a pretty big one, about 1/2 and inch bigger than the other one.

They seem to be ok though, I put it in the tank by hand and the smaller one immediately swam over and did the submission seizure dance thing. I kept an eye on them basically all night long, but with the lights off the seemed very calm. They did fight a little bit though, as in nip each other and spin around for a few seconds, but the smaller one (who attacks the bigger one first) would then go into the submission dance.

So my question is, is this normal pairing behavior? The fighting mixed with the submission dance thing? Also, if anyone knows, why did my male clownfish die after losing his color?

Not sure about the clown death. :-( But I do know that the pairing up "dance" you're seeing is normal. It took my b&w's about a month of nipping and chasing to finally pair and now they are best buddies.

Thanks

Alright thanks very much! I guess I'll just wait it out

Back
Top Bottom