Adding additional clowns to a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

athomson101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

A mate and I have been having an arguement over the last few days over the addition of two additional fish to his tank. I've not yet set my tank up as I'm moving into my new house in January and decided to wait until then.

He has a 105 gallon tank with sump, skimmer, etc.

Besides a massive clean up crew he has the following fish - 2 Ocellarsis clowns (2 years old and normal colour), a yellow tang, lawnmower blenny, mandarin dragonnet and a flame angelfish.

He wants to add two more clowns to the mix - juvenile black and while Ocellarsis clowns. Whats worse, i thought of the idea for my own tank and he is stealing it!

However, I think that they all needed to be added at the same time or the established clowns are going to tear the newcomers to pieces. He thinks that becuase they are different colours in such a large volume of water, it won't be a problem. Also, the existing clowns seem to hang around at one end of the tank only and bother usually stir themselves to the other end for some reason.

We agreed I'd stick a post up here and see what everyone thinks before he pushes ahead.

All opinions welcome, even if I'm wrong.

Andy

I agree with Roka. It is best to keep a pair of clowns per tank unless you have a very large tank. 105g tank just isn't big enough. Clowns are very territorial and will fight.

I would suggest keeping only 1 pair of clowns.

I agree, stick with the two clowns. The difference in color isn't gonna make any difference and I don't believe 105g is big enough to house two pair of clowns. I agree the newcomers will be bullied.

Back
Top Bottom