Adding an annenome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruple1984

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have a few questions I have aske two fish stores and got two different answers. I have a 75 gallon tank set up for 1 and a half months. Added two clown fish two weeks later added two blennies and a pink fish can't remember the name starts with an a. But when I added the blennies and the other fish the clowns seem maybe a little stressed they have been staying in one corner all the fish are getting along fine no ones picking on anyone but wanted to add an annenome to maybe help calm the clowns one petshop said I could get a cheaper annenome in case it dies and another said no don't add one for 3-6 months if I do add one it will crash the whole tank! So if I did add one would it crash the tank? Also when I set the tank up my friends tank has been up for over a year so we put there filter pads in our canister also added 15 gallons of their water to help it get good bacteria. Just curious on what I should do wanted to get a few more opinions thank you :)

Have you actually cycled your tank? Did you monitor the readings after you set it up?

I bought an anenome recently and it was a mistake. I havent had my tank up that long and they are needy creatures.

My clowns dont freeswim they hang around in one spot that is theirs and only theirs the defend it aggresively. Lighting is important for a Anemone if you dont have proper lighting usually the Anemones will go walking around your tank and just be stressed. Clowns (if the host the anemone at all) dont like to host in a dying nem it offers no protection to them... Dont get the nem unless your tank is ready (propper lighting and established for 3-6 months is best) If you have a nem die in you tank the can nuke it not always.

Are you clowns eating normally? other than stayin in the corner are the exhibiting any other signs of stress?

I wouldn't add an anenome yet. I would let you tank get a little more established. And if an anenome dies in your tank and you don't catch it quick enough it can crash a tank. They are very nice to look at but like carey said they are needy.

Yes I cycled the tank for a month took water samples to the store they tested it once a week all levels were good before I added these fish! I have marineland led reef lights on the tank I have some mushroom corals already they r doing great! The clowns r eating wonderful I just noticed they stay in a corner away from the rock. Thanks :)

I am actually planning on returning mine. I know he's doing well but I don't wanna take the chance. Plus mine has been hanging near my filter intake lately....that is also another issue with anenomes I hear, they can get sucked up.

DO NOT GET AN ANEMONE.
They will live for a very long time in the ocean and generally less than a year in the home aquarium. Get a frogspawn or similar coral if your lighting is up to it. It can go in a less mature tank, with lower lighting needs than an anemone, and clowns will usually host it. Win - Win!

+1
I have two BTAs and my clowns host my hairy mushroom... they dont even give the anemones a second look.

Back
Top Bottom