Adding an Ocellaris Clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikki_kaiser

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello! I need some advice regarding adding an Ocellaris clown to my tank. I have a 56 gallon tank and had a pair for a long time but the smaller one died. I heard from my local fish store that if I add another one for my existing clown that it would possibly kill it. Is there a way I can avoid this from happening? The one that died was always very small and I had never seen any signs of aggression from the larger towards him. If I do try this, how should I go about it? Should it be bigger than the existing one? I don't want the new fish to be killed so if there is a high chance of this happening I won't do it. Thanks!

I would get a clown that is much smaller then the existing one. This way they wont fight to decide who becomes the female. There is always a possability that one will kill the other, but this way the odds are less

nikki_kaiser said:
Hello! I need some advice regarding adding an Ocellaris clown to my tank. I have a 56 gallon tank and had a pair for a long time but the smaller one died. I heard from my local fish store that if I add another one for my existing clown that it would possibly kill it. Is there a way I can avoid this from happening? The one that died was always very small and I had never seen any signs of aggression from the larger towards him. If I do try this, how should I go about it? Should it be bigger than the existing one? I don't want the new fish to be killed so if there is a high chance of this happening I won't do it. Thanks!

Its most likely that you have a female remaining from your description. Adding a very small clown is your best bet. This way not gender aggression and hopefully the would even pair up.

Getting a larger clown would most certainly end in aggression.

I agree, go for a smaller clown than the one you have and you should be good. The smaller one will be the male and the larger one the female. They may have some spats at first but it most likely will work out.

Good luck!

Thank you! The lady at the fish store I like to go to normally has good advice as I double check anything she has told me but she said I had a 50/50 chance of my existing female killing it. I don't want that to happen. I will try it this week and see how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom