adding live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvmyfishies

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i would like to add some figi live rock to my tank. it is cycled "i know i should have done it in the beginning" oh well hindsight and all that. my question is will it hurt my hermit crabs, shrimp, 2 perc clowns and firefish. or will it mess up the tank already being cycled? do i buy it and just put it in? afraid to ask lfs they told me it was ok for a yellow tang in my 30 gallon. so i don't trust them.

From all the stuff people on here have told me, if it is mail order rock, then it will still need to be cured again. You will have some die off so this could cause an ammonia spike that could hurt your fish. You should re-cycle it again in a separate container after getting it. There is a write up in the articles section for this.

If you are getting it locally and it never comes out of water, it might be OK. I am not sure if there would be any other concerns with this though.

A friend of mine was in the same situation that you are in at this time. What he did was went to a Local fish store that had their own pre tank raised Live that they have cycled already. I am not sure if you have this an an option but if you do it is a good way to get live rock. the only down side to live rock like this is that it can be a lot more expensive typically what I have seen where I live 2-4 dollars more per pound

You can usually get already cured LR from your LFS. You can add live rock after fish as long as it's already cured. Otherwise your tank will cycle again.

Back
Top Bottom