Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-19-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Adding live rock to an established tank

Hello my friends, I hope everyone is doing well. Been gone a little bit, but so far everything is going well with my tank.
My questions is in regards to adding new cured live rock to my tank. Can I put it in the tank straight from the store (already cured and where I purchased first round of rock) or do I need to rinse it more when I get it home then add it? I dont want to upset my tank as so far I have been doing good with it.

In there now are just a couple of pieces of rock
2 clownfish
1 coral beauty
1 emerald green crab (who may get the boot the little devil)
3 hermit crab (2 have been eaten by emerald
1 astraia snail
5 nasarius snails

Thought about adding another something down the road but not sure what would go well in there, still researching.

What do you think about purchasing live stuff online.....my store is so very limited and expensive.
ok enough with the questions..LOL...thank you have a great evening

aquarius75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via ICQ to buddha_red
get a rubbermaid storage container from walmart. Add aged saltwater to the container and add the rock. Wait a day and test the water. This way you guarentee to head off any problems that might arise. This also lets you check for hitchhickers..

"Only mistakes happen fast in aquariums"
"The solution to pollution is dulution"
buddha_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
Thank you, I will do that. I have aquired a few little spagetti worms? I looked them up but cant tell for sure, they are tiny but have seem about a dozen...granted they could be moving around. Also saw one tube looking worm, ugly little thing. I am trying to add new rock 1 because I needed it anyway, 2 because the Coral Beauty came in and booted the Clowns out of their little "home" so they seem to me, displaced, Im a softie I know. Thank you again......
Old 01-19-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
If you are sure the rock is cured then you`ll be OK adding to your tank. But I would be very sure. How do you know it is cured. Some LFS will say it is but he might have put it in SW maybe yesterday. I`m just saying be sure.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
Yes I have personally seen there quarantine tank where they are cureing it. Thank you
Old 01-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
not an expert here ..But.. a Good First test at the LFS is to give the Curing Tank a good smell. If the tank stinks, odds are the rock is not cured yet.

My LFS has hundreds of pounds of LR in a HUGE TANK... It smells exactly like my Uncured rock did in my tank before it was "Ready". I asked the dude at the LFS if it was cured, you know, as a test.. And he said..Hells No.. You have to cure this yourself when you get home.. They passed the test!

goisles1 is offline   Reply With Quote

established tank, live, live rock, rock, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com