Adding live rock to an established tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquarius75

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello my friends, I hope everyone is doing well. Been gone a little bit, but so far everything is going well with my tank.
My questions is in regards to adding new cured live rock to my tank. Can I put it in the tank straight from the store (already cured and where I purchased first round of rock) or do I need to rinse it more when I get it home then add it? I dont want to upset my tank as so far I have been doing good with it.

In there now are just a couple of pieces of rock
2 clownfish
1 coral beauty
1 emerald green crab (who may get the boot the little devil)
3 hermit crab (2 have been eaten by emerald
1 astraia snail
5 nasarius snails

Thought about adding another something down the road but not sure what would go well in there, still researching.

What do you think about purchasing live stuff online.....my store is so very limited and expensive.
ok enough with the questions..LOL...thank you have a great evening

get a rubbermaid storage container from walmart. Add aged saltwater to the container and add the rock. Wait a day and test the water. This way you guarentee to head off any problems that might arise. This also lets you check for hitchhickers..

Thank you, I will do that. I have aquired a few little spagetti worms? I looked them up but cant tell for sure, they are tiny but have seem about a dozen...granted they could be moving around. Also saw one tube looking worm, ugly little thing. I am trying to add new rock 1 because I needed it anyway, 2 because the Coral Beauty came in and booted the Clowns out of their little "home" so they seem to me, displaced, Im a softie I know. Thank you again......

If you are sure the rock is cured then you`ll be OK adding to your tank. But I would be very sure. How do you know it is cured. Some LFS will say it is but he might have put it in SW maybe yesterday. I`m just saying be sure.

Yes I have personally seen there quarantine tank where they are cureing it. Thank you

not an expert here ..But.. a Good First test at the LFS is to give the Curing Tank a good smell. If the tank stinks, odds are the rock is not cured yet.

My LFS has hundreds of pounds of LR in a HUGE TANK... It smells exactly like my Uncured rock did in my tank before it was "Ready". I asked the dude at the LFS if it was cured, you know, as a test.. And he said..Hells No.. You have to cure this yourself when you get home.. They passed the test!

Back
Top Bottom