Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-12-2009, 11:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
adding new fish question... 1 at a time or all toghether?

wow its been so long - desperatly needs some more fish. cant believe ive ran this thing for almost a year now with only 3 damsels and 1 yellow tang.

most of my concern is that i would rather add all my fish to finalize my tank instead of say 1 or 2 new ones a month over time - just a financial matter for me.

also would like some feedback or opinions on what i should add:

fish #1 - Purpleback Pseudochromis
fish # 2 - juvinile emperator angel -
fish # 3 - powder blue, achilles, or blue hippo tang (cant decide on which one of the 3)
fish # 4 - sohal tang (final piece to my tank)

also debating adding clownfish at some point 1 or 2 of them

emperator juvinile and sohal especially are expensive so i cant get all these guys at the same time. sohal is a bit larger of a fish also but really beautiful. i understand the concern if you think my tank is too small esp when these guys grow but realize i will be moving and upgrading my tank from my current 75 to a 125 or hopefully 200+ in about 8 or 20 months (depending on my lease). also will try to aim for fish on the smaller size - striving to have my new tang selection and imperator angel be a tad bit smaller than the tang i have in now.

i wish there was a way to fish out my 3 damsels, IMPOSSIBLE i know, and replace them with a school of 3 or 4 blue chromis - that would be beautiful.

heres a link to my tank now with some pics. thanks fellas!
75G tank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0625.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	21438  

stan450z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Just realize that when it comes to tank size, the actual size of the fish really doesn't matter... it's the species. Some species just plain need more room to feel at home - regardless of its actual size. It's just like any other animal. Greyhounds need to run, and keeping one cooped up in a studio apartment with no ability to go out and stretch its legs is just not fair to the animal. Humans will "survive" locked in a closet as long as they're fed their basic needs are attended to, but is that really the right thing to do. Anyway...

I wouldn't add everything at once. Give your bacteria time to catch up to the new bioload by just adding one fish at a time. If you rush it and add everything at once you risk overloading the bacteria, getting a mini-cycle, stressing out fish, and possibly losing some.

If it's a financial thing and you have the money now to do it, just stuff it in an envelope (or a savings account!) and forget about it until your tank is ready. Or you get the bigger tank.

Oh... and I wouldn't have more than one tang in a 75g, but with how many tangs are on your list, I don't think that's going to happen...

{Edit: Just saw the picture. That tank is a year old? C'mon now... really?}

Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

As you can see from the link here that the sohol needs at least 180 gallon tank.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
yea, i guess the sohal even a small one is no match for my tank and will have to wait till i get the larger.

i will start by getting a juvinile emperator angel and a purpleback pseudochromis. thinking of getting a fish trap to capture the 2 blue and yellow damsels and replace them with a small school of green/blue chromis.

perhaps a clown or powder-blue tang a few weeks after and that is it.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Incredible to have a tank that barren and a year old. No corraline growing on the rocks or glass. Everything is so clean. Overflows, pumps, etc.

How often are you changing water?

And believe me, that yellow tang will harass the heck out of an added powder blue, he'll break out and cause you to take all the fish out of your tank for 6-8 weeks whilst the ick dies off. I agree, no more tangs

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
that picture was taken like few weeks after i put in all that brand new live rock from somebody else's established tank.

i have an updated pics and video with my new fish. added a hippo tang, juvinile emperor angel, copperband butterfly, and a bartlets anthias. yellow tang still the largest of the bunch. all fish get along wonderfully. no aggression by any fish. pretty glad about that since i learned the copperbands are succeptible to the slightest bit of stress or poor water quality.

i do try to keep my tank very clean. clean powerhead once a month or so if it gets all gunky. usually i can scrub the stuff off with a brush when doing water changes. i do changes about once every 2 weeks. about 20%. i clean the glass all the time whenever theres the slightest buildup of algae.

heres a link to my tank showcase with new pics and a video.

75g tank

new fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com