Adding powerhead and lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaycapz

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'm only about 2 weeks into my cycle of my new tank. I am a newbie to SW and first seeing the importance of certain equipment.

I have a 26g bow front, plan to stock it very light. Also have about 15lbs of lr. I currently have the stock flourescent bulb the tank came with. Should I upgrade to something better? I think this is more for lr, I know FO is not an issue.

As for powerhead, I saw koralia 240, but think it might be to small? What's your thoughts on going bigger? I am using super fine sand and worried about making a mess with more.

Thanks in advance !

Welcome to the salt world! Don't worry, in no time you'll be searching for a 90/125/150. Luckily for you, it seems that you've came across a decent, reliable brand of power heads. Koralias are nice in that they deliver a strong, gentle flow. So you should be able to push a bit more water without disturbing the sand. As for which flow rate model you should go with, that is dependent on what your end goal is with your tank. Now everyones suggestion will vary a bit, but for a FO/FOWLR tank, you want 10-15x flow rate. Corals range anywhere from 20-50x depending on what types of coral. So you can see where that issue leads. I'd personally suggest spending a bit of time deciding for certain, exactly where you want to end up with this tank. Then fill us in. We can help a lot more efficiently if we know the endgame. Lighting is only essential to coral. The type of lighting and power needed relies on what coral you want to keep

Back
Top Bottom