Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Advice for my tank.

So, currently my tank is 6 months old. 55 gallon FOWLR, it's current inhabitants are

Two clowns, Tailspot Blenny, Banggai Cardinal, tomini tang (I do know I'm going to get told to move it, like the rest of my fish she is still young and not fully grown, when we move the misses has agreed to let me upgrade my tank), a chocolate chip starfish, and some snails.

My main question I wanted to ask is, I have a fake, hollow, rock structure that all five of my fish love (clowns sleep there, blenny sleeps there, cardinal sleeps behind it, and sometimes my tomini sleeps in it, although she also has a hiding spot within the actual love rock), and while all my fish are juviniles and act fine around it currently, and I actually do like the look of it, I'm afraid when they get a bit bigger there may be some aggression (main thing that made me think of this is that my Clowns recently had a marital dispute, they're fine now though). The reason I'm anxious to remove it however, is that I don't want to stress them out by taking out one thing they all use and feel comfortable with, and wanted some opinions on if I should or not.

Also I recently went to upgrade from my hydor skimmer that sits inside the tank (regret that purchase), and put in a seaclone 100 (I know it's not the best, but it's better, at least, and since my work actually carries it, I got it for almost nothing. However, when I had put it in it released lots of microbubbles continously, and I was worried about it being bad for my fish. Will it harm them to let it break in inside the tank? Also, how likely is a HOB skimmer to leak? I'm overly paranoid about that as well.

And last but not least, AqAdvisor said my tank is not overstocked, but is it? Click image for larger version

Name:	20180814_154255.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	310946

Old 11-11-2018, 10:32 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

First, throw aqadvisor in the trash. It doesnít understand saltwater fish.
When it comes to rock and sand, you want 1 lbs per gallon of each. Iíd have more rock in the system and make more caves and crevices out of it.
Hob skimmers in general are mostly junk and you replaced a ok one with a worse one. The micro bubbles will pop and create salt creep, which can lower salinity and damage equipment. Iíve only heard of a couple leaking, but that was out of the box at the seal on the cup. These things are usually solid chunks of plastic and unable to leak unless they over flow.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com