Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2009, 10:35 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

I know you want to begin with beginner/hardy corals, but you have to think of the future; otherwise, you end up spending more than you need to in the long run. The main problem is that T5 retrofits in 60" range come in Very High-Output, which means the bulbs are being overdriven and primarily used in tanks over 24" in depth. You could try either a Tek2 4x80w (better spread), IceCap 6x80w (better peak), or a combination of IceCap 6x39w and IceCap 6x24w V-HO. The first two should allow you to keep anything imo and the third soft corals and lps unless both were V-HO (sps up top).

As for sand, the Fiji Pink is very nice and you'd need roughly 200lbs. of sand (80lbs/cubic ft.).

In terms of drilling the tank, you can make the closed-loop as intricate or simplistic as you want. For a simple design, have a 2" hole drilled at about the 16"-17" mark and run multiple lines over the top. You could even incorporate an OceansMotion device and purchase a Reeflo Dart Gold for the dedicated pump.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree totally with thinking into the future. I want to start out with hardy/beginner corals but would like to get other types of corals for added variety. That is one of the reasons why I asked about the equipment that I was going to get and what to get. I don't want to buy equipment more than once. been there, done that to death. I'll look into the equipment that you mentioned and get something that is overkill for my tank and set-up that way I don't have to upgrade later.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I looked up the skimmers online and the prices ranged from $265-880. I read the reviews but need to look into them further. I also looked up the pumps. They were all external pumps. Is there a benefit to running external pumps v. sump pumps? I currently have fiji pink in my 29bc so that's what I'm going to go with in my 110g.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:31 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

You can use internal pumps, but that is more room taken up in your sump and added heat plus externals are usually more powerful, if needed. For internal/external pumps you can look at Quiet One or Eheim. I dislike Mag-Drives.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:07 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I like the fact that external pumps don't get all the crud on them as internals do. I'll check out those pumps further when I get the chance. I need to look up the lights that you mentioned also. If only I had the time.thanks
Old 03-18-2009, 07:32 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Not a problem I prefer ReefGeek > Aquarium Supplies for Marine, Reef, and Saltwater Aquariums for the majority of my lighting needs.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:17 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I figured out that my powerheads won't be enough and I might have to buy some more. I might as well go with a CL system. The price of 4 powerheads and a controller with enough power to move the water in a 110g would cost me as much if not more than a Cl with one pump running it. I don't know how big of a sump I can fit under the stand. My LFS was out of the Oceanic RR sumps and didn't have any 40g glass tanks. I would like to use a bigger sump for the added water volume but I don't know how extensive I'm going to go with this tank, i.e sump and return pump is a given but I don't know if I'm going to go with a phosban reactor and etc. And If I choose the CL system I will need the space for that pump as well.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:09 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Sometimes these *insert specialized vocabulary* machines are so frustrating. Ok, let's try this again...

A 40g sump is sufficient for a 110g as long as you compartmentalize correctly/efficiently. Many prefer to use a longer sump and that equal to the main tank, but then there is no room for external equipment including electrical work. As far as pumps, a Reeflo Dart Gold would suit you for a CL with an Oceansmotions (OM) 4-way (version 3). For po4 reactors, there is the TFL 150 that can be used as in-sump or hob: http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~category~Two_Little_Fishies_Phosban_Re actor_150_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Filters_Inli ne___Specialty_Filters_Phosphate_Reactors~vendor~T wo_Little_Fishies~SearchStr~phosban~action~view~id Product~TL4311~idCategory~FIFRISPR.html
or the BRS: BRS GFO and Carbon Reactor Bulk Reef Supply

Can marinedepot provide a longer link?...geeeez, sorry about that :|
Old 04-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

I saw that wavemaker in another forum but I didn't know anything about it. Has anyone used one? if so, what did you think of it.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

PO4 reactor by BRS is a winner in my books. Easy to change media..great design

Tags
coral, corals, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com