Advice needed for a 110g FOWLR and some corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I spoke to my (not so)lfs about different pump options and when I asked about the Dart I was told that it is very loud. He recommended I get a Velocity 4 pump for the return. Has anyone ever used one? I would like max return flow.

Finally picked up stand and tank. Now for the fun part! I'm going a reeflo pump. Any advice on how to plumb it? I've seen many pictures of tanks and each is very different as one would expect. should I use hard pvc or flexible pvc?

Well, flex pvc is said to dampen vibrations thus a lower noise decibel. If you use flex make sure you use a good amount of glue and push the tubing all the way in, holding it there for at least 30 seconds to a minute. Because of the somewhat malleable nature, the flex pvc tends to want to pull back out otherwise. It does allow for eliminating varying turns in plumbing so I will usually use it for direct connections to a pump or from overflows to the sump if applicable leaving the rest to be hard plumbed. Make sure you have 2 union-valves in conjunction with that pump, 1 between sump and intake and 1 for output.

Ha, nothing like having to hacksaw your pipes just to clean your pump! ;)

I picked up two ball valves, 45 degree elbows, 4 unions and a "T". All 1 inch. Now I just need my sump(they are still working on it) and return pump. I've decided to go with a reeflo pump.

OK this really sucks big time. I just found out my megaflow kit can only handle 600 gph. Bummer. I thoughtit could handle more gph. Is there an option for me to add a more gph overflow? If I can't this will limit my pump choices.
Edit
I'm having a brain fart, I have two overflows so I have 1200 gph. duh I'm getting the reeflo dart. more to follow

OK. The build is on!!!!! I got my stand in place and I'm waiting until friday to move the tank into place. I could've done it today but I didn't move my BC29 far enough to get the 110g into place.:(

Update....I went with a ASM g3 for the skimmer. Now I need to figure out how to level this beast. I can get to one side to shim but I have to figure out how to get the other side that is near a wall.

You just have to level two 90% angles. The width and the length. You should be able to get to those corners.

the length is level but the width is off by 1/8" i.e leaning towards the wall. I figure I have to shim/support the whole length since if I only do one side it will twist and cause major problems later on. does this make sense?

No, your stand should be strong enough to do the supporting of your tank. All you are doing is leveling the stand. Does that make sense?

What ever you do you want to make sure the stand is perfectly level. When you shim you do not want to create pressure points anywhere on the stand as they can translate to pressure points on the tank.

ok. I leveled the tank on the stand. I only had to shim 3 points along the back, the left corner, middle and right corner. I couldn't do the stand only since the person who helped my put the tank on the stand wasn't here to help remove the tank then place it back. I hope I don't FUBAR this up! this tank has me more nervous than anything that I can think of.

I am hoping you mean three points along the back of the stand and not the tank.
What I mean is leveling of the stand with the tank on it and not just leveling the tank,ie shims under the stand, not shims under the tank.

NO NO... Sorry for the confusion. I shimmed the stand w/the tank on it. Not the tank alone i.e shims under the tank. I shimmed it at the floor. I got about 40 lbs of fiji pink sand in it now. I'll add the rest Monday. I got my base rock in water outside to get the loose dirt off.

I've been thingking of getting some PH's for this tank but can't decide what to get. I can get some k4's or magnums, I was recommended about 4 total. The magnums are pricey though. I like the mp40 but it's $420 and the direction of flow isn't adjustable. I don't know if that mater with this PH though. I have a moded maxijet ph that I still haven't used. I can get 3 more of these @$70 each and a wave maker machine for about the cost of one MP40. I want to keep as much out of the tank as possible. I know I can do a CL system if need be.

update

I got my live rock from Underwater outlet today. dang it Fed-ex for actually getting here on time!:) Great pieces and very nice sizes. I filled up the tank some more today and wouldn't you know it, the tank isn't level!:( :censor:
I checked and rechecked it and it still wasn't perfect! :eek: I now have to take the water out and redo it. I guess it's for the good of it anyway. My sand bed is way to thick for my liking anyway. More to follow.
I managed to empty the tank, I took the LR ad BR out,I took some sand out since I had to much and finally got it leveled. I'll see once I get the rest of my rock and fill it to the top of the overflow. HUh.......

Looks like you got it under control.
Happy Reefing

I got my rocks from MarcosRocks today and my reeflo Dart. There is nothing like standing in HD or Lowes for an hour looking at PVC fittings!:)

Maybe standing for an hour and finding something. ;)

Back
Top Bottom