Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

No, your stand should be strong enough to do the supporting of your tank. All you are doing is leveling the stand. Does that make sense?

Old 05-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #32
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

What ever you do you want to make sure the stand is perfectly level. When you shim you do not want to create pressure points anywhere on the stand as they can translate to pressure points on the tank.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:49 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok. I leveled the tank on the stand. I only had to shim 3 points along the back, the left corner, middle and right corner. I couldn't do the stand only since the person who helped my put the tank on the stand wasn't here to help remove the tank then place it back. I hope I don't FUBAR this up! this tank has me more nervous than anything that I can think of.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:30 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am hoping you mean three points along the back of the stand and not the tank.
What I mean is leveling of the stand with the tank on it and not just leveling the tank,ie shims under the stand, not shims under the tank.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:38 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Activist

NO NO... Sorry for the confusion. I shimmed the stand w/the tank on it. Not the tank alone i.e shims under the tank. I shimmed it at the floor. I got about 40 lbs of fiji pink sand in it now. I'll add the rest Monday. I got my base rock in water outside to get the loose dirt off.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:31 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've been thingking of getting some PH's for this tank but can't decide what to get. I can get some k4's or magnums, I was recommended about 4 total. The magnums are pricey though. I like the mp40 but it's $420 and the direction of flow isn't adjustable. I don't know if that mater with this PH though. I have a moded maxijet ph that I still haven't used. I can get 3 more of these @$70 each and a wave maker machine for about the cost of one MP40. I want to keep as much out of the tank as possible. I know I can do a CL system if need be.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Activist

update

I got my live rock from Underwater outlet today. dang it Fed-ex for actually getting here on time! Great pieces and very nice sizes. I filled up the tank some more today and wouldn't you know it, the tank isn't level! :censor:
I checked and rechecked it and it still wasn't perfect! I now have to take the water out and redo it. I guess it's for the good of it anyway. My sand bed is way to thick for my liking anyway. More to follow.
I managed to empty the tank, I took the LR ad BR out,I took some sand out since I had to much and finally got it leveled. I'll see once I get the rest of my rock and fill it to the top of the overflow. HUh.......
Old 05-07-2009, 06:06 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like you got it under control.
Happy Reefing
Old 05-07-2009, 07:02 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Activist

I got my rocks from MarcosRocks today and my reeflo Dart. There is nothing like standing in HD or Lowes for an hour looking at PVC fittings!
Old 05-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe standing for an hour and finding something.

Tags
coral, corals, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com