Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Advice needed for a 110g FOWLR and some corals

I need some advice. I'm going to pick up a 110g 60" tank in two weeks. I can't decide what to upgrade/change out/or add. So far I got:
1 60" Oceanic 110g cherry tank w/ two overflows
2 plumbing kits
stand(i didn't want to risk it making my own)
Oceanic reef ready sump(I think it's 30g)
2 drain socks
1 Titanium heater 400w
pro clear skimmer model 150

I haven't decided on lights yet or the canopy. If I make my own canopy, I can make it a father and son project which would be cool. I only want to keep beginner/ hardy corals. I would like to stay away from MH's. I have a 29g BC with 2 clowns, a bi color angel, a sand sifting star fish, and various snails. I found out from a FS that the angel will limit what type of corals I can keep in my tank since it might nip on them. It is also a major PIA to feed. It might have to go once I get the bigger tank. I'm thinking about adding some Koralia's for water circulation. How many should I get? Right now I have two in my 29g BC. I have them on a timer, one turns on with the day time lights and the other one(a nano) turns on with the moonlights.
I'm undecided with the sand I'm going to use. I can go the cheap route and use sandbox sand for the base then fiji pink sand(that's what I have in my BC) on top of it. Or use the right sand to begin with although more expensive. I plan on getting my LR on line. I figure about 175lbs total, 100-125lbs of LR and the rest will come from the rocks that the corals are attached to.
I haven't decided on what return pump to get just yet. I really don't want to purchase items more than once i.e buy a return pump, skimmer, and etc only to find out I should've gotten a better make/model. I'm by no means in a hurry to get this tank going once I get it. So I have plenty of patience and time to decide. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Thanx but no.....

Where in NJ?

Old 03-12-2009, 08:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Central NJ, Parlin.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Look into Oceanic Glass Canopy, Have 75 G Oceanic with their glass canopy which refract more light into tank rather than reflect unless building wooden Cap thus open top.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would like to get/make a wooden canopy. I would have to see how a glass canopy would look like.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Any one?
Old 03-15-2009, 04:50 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's a good link to start with.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=1
Old 03-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thincat
Thanks for that link. It's a VERY long read and I will have to do it over several days. Does any one have any advice about the equipment? Has anyone ever used a pro-clear skimmer?
Old 03-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

What are the tank's dimensions? I'll leave out lighting and substrate until then. If this were my tank I would ask if the manufacturer or lfs will drill it for you so you can install a closed-loop to eliminate the need for powerheads; otherwise, you will probably be choosing between Hydor, Tunze, or Vortech powerhead systems. If each overflow is rated for about 700gph I'd either go with a Panworld or a Reeflo Snapper Gold for the return (or wait for the Reeflo Blackfin 1800). You'll have to use a valve on the output regardless so you don't push more water than what's available and/or create more nozzle outputs to lower the head pressure. As for the sump purchase a 40g glass and make your own skimmer compartment and baffles (fuge too if you want one). Purchase two heaters at 150w each (Finnex titanium) and put them on a dedicated controller such as a Ranco or Aqualogic digital controller. For a skimmer you are better off with either an Octopus Extreme/MSX 160, Vertex 180, Bubble King 160, ATI 160, or Tunze 9005. Live Rock is normally purchased at 1-2lbs/gallon.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Innovator
The tank dimensions are 60"x18"x24. I would like to use a closed-loop system to keep the tank looking clean but I already have the powerheads. I don't know what the overflows(2) are rated for. I'll research the pumps you mentioned to see what good deals I can get on them. I was thinking of using two heaters instead of one. I'll research all the equipment that you mentioned to see which one fits my tank. I'm going with 1.5lbs/gallon of LR.

Tags
coral, corals, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com