Advice needed on possible new livestock!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mtlion

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone! As you all may know I currently have a 72G bowfront stocked with 2 cleaner shrimp, 2 ocellaris clowns, 1 yellow tang, 1 rigilius goby, and several hermits and snails. I would like to add two more fish to my tank before I call it quits on stocking. I wondered if putting in either a Scott's Fairy Wrasse or a Longnose Butterflyfish would be ok followed by a Flame Angel Fish. I have read that a longnose butterfly is somewhat difficult to take care of, but I wanted the expert opinion from this site! I also wondered if anyone would know if a flame angel would be ok with my LR and shrimp/hermits/snails.

I'm a big wrasse fan so you know which I'd suggest.... If you go with the Scott's, be sure to have your tank covered.

I have the plastic grid that you would put in a drop down flourescent light cut to fit the top of my tank, I'm good there!

What about a blenny. Make sure you see it eat before you get it if you decide that`s what you want.

I thought about a blennie, but was concerned that it and the goby would not get along.

I was thinking of a bi-color blenny from when I originally planned by stocking list, what about a bi-color and a flame angel to wrap up my stocking?

This is not a reef tank is it. Caution needs to exercised when adding an dwarf angel to the tank. IME

Live Aquaria indicates the fish is reef compatible with caution, exactly what Mike is talking about.

No, not a reef tank just FOWLER so I though I would be ok with the angel.

You might want to invest in a QT first. Your getting quite an investment there, it would be a shame to see it come crashing down due to the introduction of disease :D

It's been a nice slow measured build. It might be time........

I was thinking of a bi-color blenny from when I originally planned by stocking list, what about a bi-color and a flame angel to wrap up my stocking?
Do you mean a "Bi-color Pysdochromis If so I have that fish and it's the terror of my tank. All my gobies hang out on top of my PH's and only come down at night or feeding time.

I do have a 10 QT that I have been using, so I'm good there! The bi-color blenny is a "Ecsenius bicolor" so it is not the one that you have from what I can tell. I will be getting these fish separately, the blenny first and then the flame angel last. The angel will be my last addition so there are hopefully no turf wars!

My mistake, I thought I remembered you June 11 post being that you bought your yellow that day, acclimated and put him in the tank...

Unfortunately you are correct, I did just introduce the tang without QT. I was speaking to an employee at "That Fish Place" as well as their marine biologist and they both advised against QT of the tang due to the QT only being 10G. They both stated that since the tang is an active swimmer that the 10G QT would stress him out due to not having appropriate space to swim. Luckily everything has worked out so far and I won't have to introduce another fish without a proper QT period.

Really? Well that ticks another place off my list of places to frequent.

"I won't have to introduce another fish without a proper QT period.".... unless you get another that won't swim well in a 10G I guess. :)

The Capt. is correct. You have to look at the whole picture. First, the Tang is already stressed by being caught and not fed from the collector to the wholesaler, not being fed here also, then on to the LFS...maybe some food here but not much....All this stress then it's on to your home....Please don't stress him here by have a QT that is to small. That's nonsense... two weeks here all by himself with lots of food, no outside stress...nets, fingers, tapping, etc.. I don't think a small QT is all that bad. I think the LFS gave you bad advice... QT, QT, Qt is the only way to keep your DT disease free. No ands, if's or buts..period

The Capt. is correct. You have to look at the whole picture. First, the Tang is already stressed by being caught and not fed from the collector to the wholesaler, not being fed here also, then on to the LFS...maybe some food here but not much....All this stress then it's on to your home....Please don't stress him here by have a QT that is to small. That's nonsense... two weeks here all by himself with lots of food, no outside stress...nets, fingers, tapping, etc.. I don't think a small QT is all that bad. I think the LFS gave you bad advice... QT, QT, Qt is the only way to keep your DT disease free. No ands, if's or buts..period
Sorry thincat but the saying goes no ifs ands or buts...............

Back
Top Bottom