Advice on 90 Gal FOWLR- Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gafi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone!!

I am finally decided to take the plunge into the saltwater realm. However, I do have many questions in regards to setting up the tank prior to adding any fish. I have been doing some reading, and have read that canister filters are usually not good options as they can be a nitrate factory (rats I wanted to use my eheim 2217). I have read that a wet/dry system with a protein skimmer and overflow box is a good way to go. Can anyone offer some suggestions on the type of filter I should use....I'm new to the whole overflow/sump/protein skimmer concept since I am coming over from planted freshwater tanks.

Hi! Welcome to the world of saltwater! I have been running a very simple set up of a canister filter and a compact HOB skimmer and my water params are fine, it depends on what size your setup is and what you are planning to go into it. If you do use your canister then make sure regular upkeep is taken on it.

I use a fluval 305 on my 55g sw tank. :) Just a lot of cleaning and emptying lol.

I am in the process of setting up a 90g fowlr as well. I will be running a wet dry sump and a skimmer. I think that will be enough. :)

awesome! what wet/dry system are you looking at? I have no idea where to even start haha!

I lucked out totally, I picked up the brand new never unwrapped drilled tank and sump for $200!! :-O

My wet dry is made by a florida company, sealife systems and so is the skimmer. I also got a mag 9.5 return pump, skimmer pump and glass tops in the deal.

I have a refugium sump running in my 125g tank already so I have a clue LOL

Just waiting on a stand to put my setup together.

im kinda new to the wet/dry sump...what gph should I be striving for on a 90 gal tnak?

is there a difference between a refugium and a wet/dry filter?

most likely buy....I cant see myself building something that wont fail haha

Good question! lol Since mine is predrilled already I will be going for 600 gph. My 125g goes at 1200 gph or so for comparison. BUT my 125g is also a reef tank so I wanted alot of flow.

I plan on adding 2 koralia powerheads at 750gph as well. Hopefully that will be enough. I don't have the money for a new set of 1050 gph powerheads and I have the 750's doing nothing so in they go. lol

Gafi said:
im kinda new to the wet/dry sump...what gph should I be striving for on a 90 gal tnak?

Anywhere between 5(better 6) and 10 times the water volume. So 500-900 gph. But that's just me ;)

I just basically wanna know what I need...since this is totally different than FW

If your buying one, you can basically go by the recommendations of the manufacturer, they will give you the suggested tank size for you.

so would a wet/dryfilter work instead of a refugium?

For fish only it would be ok from what I have heard and researched. The bio balls can trap debris and nitrates so maintaining the filter is a must.

Back
Top Bottom