Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Advice on cleaning crews

Ok tank size is 46 gal. I'm going to surprise my wife with a cleaning crew when she gets back. She plans to get a few corals and replaced the light with an Ocean Sun 10,000K 25 wt bulb, so she doesn't want anything that will eat coral.
In the tank we have 2 A P clowns (could Be False), 1 Royal Gramma, 2 feather dusters, 2 red leg hermits, 1 oyster cluster, and one cerith snail. Also we have 2 things that we have no clue about. Will be posting to identify.
Any thoughts on these and their numbers:
16 Nassarius Snails
4 Cerith Snails
10 Nerite Snails
2 Mexican Turbo Snails
8 Red Leg Hermits
10 Blue Leg Hermits
1 Ruby Red Mithrax
6 Sand Sifter Crabs
2 Emerald Crabs
1 Sally Light Foot crab
1 Sand Sifter Star
1 Pistol shrimp
1 Pistol Goby

Old 10-12-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

How old is the tank and how much rock? What kinda substrate? Those'll determine how much of a crew to add. Don't add too many such that they'll starve IMO.

I don't know what a sand sifter crab is. I'd also stay away from the emerald green. Some can be sneaky or opportunistic as they get bigger.

Check out brittle (not the green - they get big and bold. Can do in small critteres) or serpent starfish.

Anyway, tell us more about your tank first.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
How long the tank has been established will determine what kind of numbers you need. The longer it has been running the larger crew it will support. In general i would recommend halfing this list and seeing how they do with that. You can always add more later. If you add them all and its to much many of them will starve and its just a waste of money as well as killing all those animals.

the mexican turbo snails are great algae grazers but they get real big and drove me crazy because they were constantly bulldozeing over corals and knocking into things. As far as the emerald and sally light foot. They won't bother corals but keep in mind that they are opurtunistic feeders and will eat small/sick fish or anything else they can manage to catch. I'm not a huge fan. Sand sifter stars need a very large deep sand bed to have enough food. I think that it would probably starve after a couple months in your tank.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Our Readings as of 10/11/2008
Nitrite
= 0 Nitrate=0 Temp= 78
PH= 8.2 Ammonia= 0

Our Equipment List
Lighting/Hood = RO1636 Model#36PSDX Rated 120 VAC 60 HZ 40 WT
Bulb = Ocean Sun 10,000K 25 wt 36in

Tank = 46 gal bow face H=21in W= 3ft Short D= 12in Long D= 16in with glass cover.

Powerheads/wavemakers= 1 Zoo Med Power sweep 30 gal wt pre filter (rotating)
2 Wal-Mart stationary power heads

Heater = 2x UL 100 wt

Filters= 2x Whisper 10-30i with Biofilters
3 1/2in (100 lbs appx) live sand bed (4/50 lbs bags of non sicila playsand mixed with 25 lbs of reef
orster shells and seeded with 20 lbs of actural live sand and
cycled for about 8 weeks. Still have about 120/140 lbs dried,
sealed, and stored in our building.
Bio Pro Sk-40 Air Driven Protein Skimmer
Livestock= 2 A.p clownfish (mated pair)(might be false)
1 Royal Gramma
2 Red leg hermits
3 Peppermint Shrimp
2 Feather Duster
1 Oyster Cluster
Old 10-12-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you View Post
How long the tank has been established will determine what kind of numbers you need. The longer it has been running the larger crew it will support.
Tanks been running about 6 mts.
I for got to add a pistol shrimp and Pistol Goby. I'm going by her wish list.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
How old is the tank and how much rock? What kinda substrate? Those'll determine how much of a crew to add. Don't add too many such that they'll starve IMO.

I don't know what a sand sifter crab is. I'd also stay away from the emerald green. Some can be sneaky or opportunistic as they get bigger.

Check out brittle (not the green - they get big and bold. Can do in small critteres) or serpent starfish.

Anyway, tell us more about your tank first.

I posted all my stats no LR yet. 3 1/2 sand bed. But I have alge every where. Plan to get some LR soon. Got an extra tank to cure it in.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I like the idea of halving tht list also. I like the idea also of leaving the emerald green and mithrax off the list.

As far as the pistol shrimp and goby goes, you're gonna have to make sure the rock is on the bottom of the tank. If sitting on the sand, the shrimp will cause an avalanche and get hurt - or worse, make rock fall against glass.

How much rock in there?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 10-12-2008, 02:26 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

If no LR yet, I'd not add any cleaning crew other than what you already have. Maybe snails for the algae.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:36 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
16 Nassarius Snails (these guys are great. I just added 10 small ones and 5 large in my tank, yesterday)
4 Cerith Snails (another good choice)
10 Nerite Snails (good so far)
2 Mexican Turbo Snails (good)
8 Red Leg Hermits (I'm not really a fan of any hermits, but go for the dwarf ones)
10 Blue Leg Hermits
1 Ruby Red Mithrax (either or)
6 Sand Sifter Crabs (not sure what these are, but a pistol shrimp will constantly move sand around)
2 Emerald Crabs (maybe one but as Ray stated, they can get nasty when they get bigger)
1 Sally Light Foot crab (neat little guys, but still a crab)
1 Sand Sifter Star (these need a large well established tank, I would skip this)
1 Pistol shrimp (perfect, but don't hope to see it much, make sure your rock is firmly on the tank's bottom)
1 Pistol Goby (I love these, especially with the shrimp)
How about a fire or cleaner shrimp?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

[quote=roka64;913020]6 Sand Sifter Crabs (not sure what these are, but a pistol shrimp will constantly move sand around)
quote]
This is what is called a sand sifter crab. But it looks like a flea to me.

Name:   sandflea-1.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  31.5 KB

Tags
clean, cleaning

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com