Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2004, 12:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Advice on live rock

Hi everyone. I have a 180 gal. drilled tank coming friday and I would like to put LR in but cant afford to get as much as I need for the size tank.Would it hurt to maybe start out with like 40 lbs.? See I was going to get a 75 gal. set up then my Wife and I Decided that Maybe a 125 would be better for the fish.Well my lfs got a special on a drilled 180 for $300. more than the undrilled 125 so I Couldn't pass it up. Now I'm a little over budget. Also like advice on what fish to avoid with LR. Heard butterfly will strip LR.
[/code]

Old 09-09-2004, 01:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
40 pounds will look bare.

absolutely bare.

try 100 lbs of base rock and another 80 - 100 lbs of Live Rock. the base rock will eventually become live.

You are also going to have to consider what type of filtration, lighting, skimmer, sand, etc. you are going to also have to add. none of it is cheap. I have spent over 1000 bucks on my tiny little 37 gallon and I have yet to add one fish.

If the bank is busted on the tank. I would suggest saving up a whole lotta money before you go any further. and during that time do alot of Research, research, reserch. Figure out what you are ultimately wanting to achive and plan accordingly.

by the way: Welcome to Aquarium Advice!!!

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 01:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

You don't have to add all the LR at once. Buy it as you can. Websites like liveaquaria.com run specials on rock all the time. You will have to cure the rock so read up on that. All I have right now is 45lbs of LR and 25lbs of base rock. I am about to order some from liverocks.com. Diversity in your rocks is good. Get it from different places if you have to opportunity.

Don't have any advice on fish yet, as I am still without those.

HTH

Wes

75 gal SW tank, Eheim 2215 Filter, 45lb Figi Premium LR, 2 Maxi-Jet Powerhead/Pump Model 900

5 Dwarf Red Tip Hermit Crabs, 5 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs, 3 Emerald Mithrax Crabs, 1 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Fire Shrimp, 10 Cerith Snails, 10 Nassarius Snails, 6 Bumble Bee Snails, 16 Turbo Snails, 1 Brittle Sea Star

Yellow-tailed Blue Damsel, Foxface Lo, Coral Beauty Angelfish, Sailfin Tang, Scooter Blenny
AirRazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 01:29 AM   #4

Thanks Rocketseason,
I know what you mean along with the tank I have salt, wet/dry, pump, uv, heater,twin lighting, skimmer, and (arognite) ? for substrate . Cost about as much as tank and stand. Cant quit now . Whats a good sourse for base rock.May can swing 80lbs LR. thinking about calling LR.com I,M only 40 miles from Fl. State line maybe get a Fl. special. Thanks for the welcome.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:34 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Liverocks.com is the way to go! Thats where I got my stuff.

here is my post about my shipment: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=30964

They also offer base rock.

I would encourage you staying away from certain rocks. Tonga, Fiji, etc. These are great rocks, but when they are harvested, it is depleation of the natural reefs.

Liverocks.com uses aquacultured rock. It is limestone which was placed in the ocean several years ago. an artifical reef was the results, which provides a wonderful place for all types of marine life to live. Unlike collecting fish from the ocean, Rocks don't reproduce. once they are gone, they are gone.

many will have different opinions, but that is just my personal one.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Old 09-09-2004, 01:48 AM   #6

Thanks AirRazr And Rocket,
Checked out your LR it looks great I think thats the way I will go. Now I have to work on my fish wish list. Thanks again .
Old 09-09-2004, 02:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

rocket, i read ur post on the link u provided.

newb question... so am i to understand that crabs on the rocks r not desirable? if that is the case... why?

so much to learn, but so fun!
Old 09-09-2004, 06:25 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Many crabs will pick on corals. I removed mine to another tank till I could positively ID them.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:05 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

exactly what darb2 said. If you only want to have a FOWLR tank. not a problem. But if you have reef aspirations, you may have a problem. I unfortunatly didn't get them all and I still have 4 or 5 hiding out in my rocks.

Old 09-09-2004, 02:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSeason
I would encourage you staying away from certain rocks. Tonga, Fiji, etc. These are great rocks, but when they are harvested, it is depleation of the natural reefs.

Liverocks.com uses aquacultured rock. It is limestone which was placed in the ocean several years ago. an artifical reef was the results, which provides a wonderful place for all types of marine life to live. Unlike collecting fish from the ocean, Rocks don't reproduce. once they are gone, they are gone.

many will have different opinions, but that is just my personal one.
AFAIK, all the non-aquacultured rock like Fiji etc is collected from rubble zones and not by hacking apart the reef.. these zones constantly replenish when bits of the reef naturally break off.. also remember that the reef is constantly growing so it is indeed a renewable resource. Obviously not at a particularly fast rate though. As far as I'm concerned even with aquacultured rock, it's still a living ecosystem so just because it was made for farming doesn't really make an ethical difference when it comes to removal from the sea, it just makes it more cost-effective.

Ideally, we would all make our own rock that had never spent a minute in the ocean.

Just my thoughts, please don't flame me, lol :P

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com