Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Advice please. New goby stiring up a cloud of trouble.

Last year I set up a 150 gallon tank. 48x24x30 tank. Filled it with 300lbs of rock/live rock. The sand started getting dirty so I thought HEY GET A DIAMOND GOBY! So this fish with an appetite for sand is more like a hover vacuum cleaner. I would have never expected so much from one little fish.

Here is where I need advice... I have a medium calcium sand bed. The goby is stirring up so much sand the water is almost too cloudy to see through to the other side long ways now.

Should I remove the goby?
Should I remove and change the sand to non calcium based.

I just happens to be that I planned to rearange all the rocks which meant emptying the tank.

Advice, or is there another option.

Thank you.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think everyone goes through this with a new goby, I've seen a few post anyway. When I added a watchman goby I had the same concern but after a few days it got better. The goby will stir it up but eventually the sand will be clean in a way and free of all the dust and crap clouding your tank.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I got rid of mine last week after 3 days. Too much stir/cloudiness, and he started covering my coral and a clam on the sand bed. Too industrious for my taste.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erok7620 View Post
I think everyone goes through this with a new goby, I've seen a few post anyway. When I added a watchman goby I had the same concern but after a few days it got better. The goby will stir it up but eventually the sand will be clean in a way and free of all the dust and crap clouding your tank.
I agree in a few days all will be fine. You got a fish that moves your substrate to find your substrate is dusty. Change your filter if it's still cloudy in two days and after it clears up.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

A lot of reefers are experiencing this problem big time this year for some reason...me too..I am going to try the Special Reef Sand that is not so fine a sand. Mine seems to be really powdery this time. A Diamond or Orange Spot Goby are really good sand sifters. I have a Yellow-head Sleeper Goby that doesn't make such a mess now and he even eats from the LR.

Tags
cloud, goby, trouble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com