Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13 View Post
Just to make sure you have enough bacteria you can put a sponge or filter floss from the other tank into the filter of the qt.

thanks for the tip, I'm a little skeptical to bring anything from the DT to the tank he's in tho....just on the off chance the brook has just 1 little cyst lurking...it would be my luck...I know its probably a ridicules fear but still

I am keeping a close eye on his water perameters tho and I have water on hand for daily changes and emergencies...

its lights out and he's just hangin out on his rock..no signs of distress..day 1 down 6 to go

Old 04-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #12

Beginning day 3 and he doesn't look any worse for wear, didn't want to eat this morning but I think I can chalk it up to him just not being hungry cuz he was swimming round and round and perked up even more when I changed some of his water. He's quite a character. a bit of a show off really. lol

Old 04-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Gorgeous fish! good luck!
Old 04-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #14

Thanks!! He is a looker isn't he? : )
Old 04-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Anyone else thinking that QT should be longer than a week? I was thinking 2 weeks at least. After all you've been through it'd be sad to slip up now.
I'm in a similar situation btw, DT fallow now since Feb 20 due to ich - I'm technically ready for fish to come back from HT & QT (yes, two diff tanks!). But I may wait for the weekend tho, just a little extra measure of insurance.

- D
Old 04-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I am going through ick as well. I'm quarantining my new fish for 6 weeks in hyposalinity. Its a sure way to kill all ick before you put the fish in the display tank. I would do more than a week for sure.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #17

well a friend of a friend (haha I hate that) has been in the hobby for over 10 years I believe and I just spoke with him yesterday as a matter of fact and he said he isn't a fan of chemical treatments for your tank and such but in the last few years he has dosed his QT with paragaurd before he put a new fish in and he hasn't had an anything outbreak since he started treating preventively rather than waiting for something to pop up and hoping to cure it or putting it in the DT and then having to take it back out because it responded poorly and broke out in ich..according to he and his LFS its pefectly ok as long as the fish doesn't appear stressed as a result or prior to using the treatment...idk just a thought.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #18

some kid at the LFS did tell me since there weren't any other fish in my tank right now I don't even have to QT him..ha!! Thats ok I think I will any way but thanks! lol

I don't mind keeping him in QT another week but, I am just paranoid that PWCs every day won't be enough to keep the water params in check...somebody please tell me its ok to relax!! lol

I am checking water paramenters daily only thing I have seen is just the lowest of low ammonia readings which is to be expected cuz there is a fish swimming around in there.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

The Para Guard in QT makes sense to me. I'm using it in the HT now that I've got salinity back up to normal - just a little extra insurance. I was using Stress Guard in the HT while doing hypo to detox the ammonia - seemed to work well. That and PWCs and you should be fine for 2-3 weeks. How big is the QT?

- D
Old 04-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #20

its only a 10 gal, I think I am going to give the paragaurd a shot and I will look into stress gaurd for the ammonia...hadn't even crossed my mind...he looked perfect this morning but it can't hurt to give him every advantage...puffers seem like very chill fish though any way lol

Tags
brooklynella, outbreak

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com