Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

After 7 weeks of going fallow due to a brooklynella outbreak

After 7 weeks of going fallow due to a brooklynella outbreak and the death of 4 fish(all of my fish) in the process on my first attempt at keeping a Saltwater tank I am preparing to take the plunge back in this weekend. Getting to look at nothing but crabs and snails for 2 months is becoming depressing.

Today I will be setting my QT up after work and letting it run for about 24 hrs at which point I will be going to my LFS to buy 1 new fish and have him QTed for the next week while my DT finishes its last few days of being fallow just to be on the safe side and make sure the new guy will at least live for a week.....my LFS got 3 Valentini Puffers in on wedensday morning. I have been to look at them and they look really good so I think if they all stay in good standing until saturday I will be coming home with one of those.

I am scared to death that he's not gonna live more than 3 days in QT and if he does make it the whole week I'm afraid that the brook is still lurking in the display tank somewhere and will get him. Its the saddest thing I've ever had to watch happen to a fish!!! Any tips to give him the best possible fighting chance?

I plan on doing 10% water changes daily while he's in QT and obviously feeding it and such...dunno what more u can do really....

Send positive thoughts my way!!!

Old 04-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good luck! Hope the best works out. Really like the attitude you've got of not giving up!

Old 04-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #3

Thanks you, its like completely starting over again..I look at everybody elses pretty tanks on here and I'm so jealous...I have a LR tank, not a fish tank!!

I don't want to be labled as a fish killer either so if I can't get it to work soon I may have to give up just on principle lol
Old 04-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #4

Stopped by to look at the puffers all look just as pretty as they did yesterday, QT is set up and running...so get ready get set go!!
Old 04-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Post pics of your new fish when you can.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #6

acclimating him now...as soon as he's in his little private tank I will!!
Old 04-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #7

he seems to be pretty content...so much fun to watch!! I feel like he's watching me just as much as I am him lol
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a Valentini as well. They are the coolest. Their personalities make them more pet than fish.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #9

he is not shy at all, i have the QT set up on my desk, if I'm sitting at the computer he's at the glass watching me lol his eyes are so expressive its kind of weird for a fish..but I already love him so I hope things go well this time around. I think I'm way better prepared
Old 04-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just to make sure you have enough bacteria you can put a sponge or filter floss from the other tank into the filter of the qt.

Tags
brooklynella, outbreak

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com