Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Aggressive Clowns

Hey I just added a tomato clown to my tank and she's being pretty aggressive towards my other fish. I have isolated the fish but is it worth keeping it? Will it be aggressive towards anything I add to the tank in the future?

Old 09-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammo2001
Hey I just added a tomato clown to my tank and she's being pretty aggressive towards my other fish. I have isolated the fish but is it worth keeping it? Will it be aggressive towards anything I add to the tank in the future?
Tomato clowns are VERY aggressive. This won't change and will probably become even more territorial once it's been there a while. I would get rid of it. You will most likely have issues when adding anything.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for that. Are other clowns this aggressive? I'm wanting to get a cleaner wrasse and a blue streak damsel to go in the tank too.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Thanks for that. Are other clowns this aggressive? I'm wanting to get a cleaner wrasse and a blue streak damsel to go in the tank too.
No. I have had clowns a long time and they aren't all aggressive like that. I have a mated pair of black and white in QT now waiting to go into my tank and another true percent in my other (have two 55 gallon tanks).

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1997600147.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	121834

Normally I don't have the sand in there and if they come down with anything I have a hospital tank but these two were in a tank with lots of other fish small and large. Tomatoes are just very aggressive.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki_kaiser

No. I have had clowns a long time and they aren't all aggressive like that. I have a mated pair of black and white in QT now waiting to go into my tank and another true percent in my other (have two 55 gallon tanks).

Normally I don't have the sand in there and if they come down with anything I have a hospital tank but these two were in a tank with lots of other fish small and large. Tomatoes are just very aggressive.
* true percula...I hate auto correct!
Old 09-30-2012, 11:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

One last thing though, read up on damsels. Yes, clownfish are in the damsel family but most of the actual damsels I've ever had were horrible mistakes due to their aggressive behavior and being territorial. If you want a tank of easy going fish, most of the time a damsel is not the best choice.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:05 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hopefully i can take him back and swap it. Yeah I did read that about damsels somewhere. Is there a good website somewhere that I can find which fish go with what? I would hate to have to learn the hard way.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:10 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Clowns can be agressive, its sad but its the truth :/ maroon clowns are known to be a bit on the agressive side and so are tomato clowns. True percs are more agressive then ocellaris clowns which are by far the least agressive.

This is my advice to you. If you want clowns dont spend 50 extra bucks just because it says "mated clown pair" on the glass. Waste of money IMO, so to the tank with the 10-15 dollar ocellaris clowns (remember, non agressive) and buy the largest one in the tank and the smallest one in the tank. Now be intelligent about this... If the smallest one is the size of a fly dont buy it, but you want one clown to be smaller then the other. This way they wont fight about who gets to be the female in the relationship and they should live happily ever after. The end
Old 10-01-2012, 12:11 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Hopefully i can take him back and swap it. Yeah I did read that about damsels somewhere. Is there a good website somewhere that I can find which fish go with what? I would hate to have to learn the hard way.
This can help but honestly I would look at what you like and read a little further. Sometimes it's questionable. I know that may not help much but you could always post for what people think in here. Many people have had these fish and can tell you the +/- of having them and degree of difficulty keeping them.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/c...lity_chart.cfm
Old 10-01-2012, 12:40 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
Clowns can be agressive, its sad but its the truth :/ maroon clowns are known to be a bit on the agressive side and so are tomato clowns. True percs are more agressive then ocellaris clowns which are by far the least agressive.

This is my advice to you. If you want clowns dont spend 50 extra bucks just because it says "mated clown pair" on the glass. Waste of money IMO, so to the tank with the 10-15 dollar ocellaris clowns (remember, non agressive) and buy the largest one in the tank and the smallest one in the tank. Now be intelligent about this... If the smallest one is the size of a fly dont buy it, but you want one clown to be smaller then the other. This way they wont fight about who gets to be the female in the relationship and they should live happily ever after. The end
Nu-Nu is absolutely right!! Don't pay for a "mated pair". All clowns are males until one morphs into the female. I only bought my two because the guy gave me a good deal and I buy all my stuff from him.

Tags
aggressive, clown, clowns

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com