Aggressive clowns???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POLARBEAR0871

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have two clowns that I've had for 3-4 months now and at first neither of them were aggressive but just the other day I noticed my male getting very aggressive towards my female and he's been like that for about a week or week and a half any one know for the sudden behavior

It's probably the other way around, the one that is being aggressive is most likely becoming the female and establishing dominance. And clowns can be just down right mean...

My female is way bigger but my male ha become more aggressive lately

I agree with Big Reds. I have two black and white clowns. The bigger of the two beat up the smaller for about 2 weeks then they just went back to being a happy little family. Clowns are born male and the largest will switch to become the dominant female. You might have to rename them!

That's what I figured was going on but whyd they decide to switch sexes

It insures that they continue to survive in the wild. When the dominant female dies, a large male will switch to female to make sure they can continue to breed.

But why are they switching sexes if they've never bred before is it something all clowns do

All clownfish start male. The most aggressive and largest becomes the female. They occasionally scuffle again to test out dominance.

I knew that and find that very intriguing so they're just testing each other ok thanks

Back
Top Bottom